The Day We were Escorted Home in A Police Van


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 3rd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

So it'll just be a short note today as I am disgustingly jet-lagged and can hardly string two words together. Lack of sleep, lots of partying and a 13 hour flight really take it out of you!!

So where to begin? Its been a hectic few days.

Our second day in KL was memorable to say the least. We headed out to the winding, claustrophobic alleys of the Chow Kit markets and proceeded to gorge ourselves on all the fruit we could lay our hands on. It was weird not being able to find anywhere to just BE, KL just never stops. We decided we felt very foreign that day, very insignificant while the locals whirled around doing their own thing.

We headed to the city after a quick dip in the pool and I discovered a new passion for shopping. I'm so glad I'm travelling light as I could easily have blown my years budget just on shoes!!! Its incredibly how much choice there is!! I also bought a new camera so the next entry should be accompnied by some happy snaps I promise!!

That night we ate AWFUL food (whole dried fish and a gross chicken curry with loads of bones. Yuck!!) But we also met some truly awesome people. As we were wandering down a side street we heard people calling to us to join them. So glad we did 😊 We ended up making some friends from NZ, America and France and heading out clubbing after pre drinks at their guest house. We got our shuffle on 😊

The night ended a little differently though. We got into a cab and asked for our hotel/ nearest train station but the cabbie didn't know it so we got out. So we jumped in the next cab and he said it was fine and drove off. LESSON TO LEARN: don't trust blindly!

He drove us for 10 mins in teh opposite direction and left us saying the hotel was just on the other side of the platform and drunkenly we believed him. He'd left us stranded ages from where we were staying!! Luckily as we stood confusedly trying to decide what to do a police car doing routine checks of the train station pulled up. We told him the whole sob story and he kindly dropped us to the door of the hotel, mucgh to the bell hops surprise!! 😊

Our 3rd day in KL involved a trip to the Batu caves to see the monkeys - they're fiesty little buggers!!- and a theme park INSIDE a shopping center! We rode a roller coaster inside a shopping center! It was awesome. We made new friends from Canada, Texas and NZ on the train to the Batu caves and hung out with them for the day. Went out again that night, a move thoroughly regretted at 5am when we started to head to the airport. SO TIRED!!

London is amazing 😊 The architecture, the fashion, trhe whole vibe is so awesome. I think I want to live here after my semester in Sheffield. Turns out my Aunt and Uncle are pretty much the cutest people ever! So friendly, so adorable, so generous. It was so great to have somewhere to crash. Its really made the transition to Europe a lot less scary.

Thats all for now, except for a renewed appreciation for mobile phones, an amazement for a country that stays light til 10pm, and an appreciation for meeting new people. Just talking to all these people who have so much life experience has really opened my eyes. I can't believe how much I've learnt in 4 days - I will come home I totally different person I am sure!

P.s Please comment or I'll stop writing

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb