England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 30th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Found the Coylet Inn no problems. What a beautiful setting - and the little inn is very quaint. Had an interesting meal there. Graeme ordered the house specialty of sausages, mash, yorkshire pud and gravy. The dish came served in a yorkshire pudding big enough to row across to the other side of Loch Eck!! Needless to say he didn't manage to eat it all - but did make a heroic effort all the same. We intended to stay at the Coylet Inn for a couple of nights, as it is so beautiful and so peaceful, but the weather finally caught up with us, so we headed south to Glasgow. Glasgow is not very pretty (or very clean) but has some great shops and restaurants (reminds me a bit of Melbourne - but not so attractive). They have a great sense of humour (yes we were able to understand them most of the time) and they have created the "Style Mile" as an answer to Edinburgh's Royal Mile. (the Style Mile is a whole street of shops, but slopes down like the Royal Mile)

Lakes District (England) very pretty.

Travelled through Wales from the Lakes area to mid west coast before heading down to Cornwall. Wales is picturesque, and sparsely populated. Old buildings that seem rather run down, but the farms seem well cared for. Struck a beautiful morning on the West Coast, where we could see across a stunningly beautiful bay to Ireland.

Our Cornwell apartment was in a good spot to get around, but what we thought would be a 4 hour drive took about 9 hours!!!. The roads are very windy and narrow and you can't see around bends because the sides are lined with high hedges all the way.

Highlights - Dartmoor, Lands End, The Eden Project, St. Ives, Padstow and Cornish Birds of Prey. The Cotswolds were very interesting - very pretty old stone houses. Back in London now, after a visit to Oxford. Saw a show at West End tonight - Dreamboats and Petticoats. It was great fun. 60's music and fashion, and some amazing singing with a great band.

Glad to be rid of the car now though, as the traffic and road systems are a pain, taking ages to get anywhere. Bus trip to Bath and Stonehenge tomorrow, and a splurge on lunch at the Ritz Thursday, before heading for the trip home.

See you all soon. xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb