Scottish Highlands and Islands


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Argyll » Oban
June 25th 2011
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A great trip to the Orkneys (3 hour drive each way - 45 minutes on the ferry and 5 hour bus tour around 5 islands) Very fertile place but no trees - too windy & cold. Saw an amazing - huge - stone circle and a neolithic Pictish dwelling site.

Drove to the northwest coast (Ullapool) via the Falls of Shin and watched salmon trying to leap over the falls to get upstream. Awesome scenery on the west coast!

Left Aviemore on the 18th and on to Fort William for a couple of days. Visited Glen Coe (very beautiful area where we got some great photos - site where the Campbells murdered the McDonalds) and on to the Bonnie Bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

Trip to Pitlochry - the home of Clan Robertson. Visited Clan Donnachaidh museum at Brauer.

Took the Hogwarts Express from Fort William to Mallaig and back, crossing the Glenfinnan Viaduct just like the movie but that was pretty much the only highlight.

Over the Sea (Via the bridge) to Skye on monday and toured lots of the island until friday. Very barren, but strangley beautiful. Went on a boat trip to the islands off Skye to see the wildlife. Saw lots of seabirds (Puffins as well - finally, but they are skittish little suckers, wont sit still for a photo.)

Put the car on the Ferry at Armadale (Skye) to go back to Mallaig on the mainland then on to Oban for the night. Heading off to Loch Eck today to stay at the Coylet Inn tonight.

Weather has continued to be kind to us, although we have heard there was 5 weeks of constant rain just before we arrived.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb