River Thames


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 10th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The River Thames (pronounced /ˈtɛmz/ ) is a major river flowing through southern England. While it is best known because its lower reaches flow through central London, the river flows through several other towns and cities, including Oxford, Reading and Windsor.

The Thames is 215 miles (346 km) long. Its usually quoted source is at Thames Head, about a mile north of the village of Kemble and near the town of Cirencester, in the Cotswolds. Seven Springs near Cheltenham, where the river Churn rises, is also sometimes quoted as the Thames' source,as this location is furthest from the mouth, and adds some 14 miles (22 km) to the length. The springs at Seven Springs also flow throughout the year, while those at Thames Head are only seasonal. The Thames is the longest river entirely in England, but the River Severn, which is partly in Wales, is the longest river in the United Kingdom.

From the outskirts of Greater London, the river passes Hampton Court, Kingston, Teddington, Twickenham, Richmond, Syon House and Kew before flowing through central London. In central London, the river forms one of the principal axes of the city, from the Palace of Westminster to the Tower of London. Past central London, the river passes between Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs, before flowing through the Thames Barrier, which protects central London from flooding by storm surges. Below the barrier, the river passes Dartford, Tilbury and Gravesend before entering the Thames Estuary near Southend-on-Sea.

Thames Clippers operates a fleet of twelve luxury high speed catamarans. We decided to jump on board and spend a lovely afternoon up and down the Thames. The clipper boats are used mainly for commuting, as they are very fast and convenient for commuters, but are also a great way to do some sightseeing and decide at what pier to get off and wander about. With a 'hop-on hop off' all day ticket you do get a chance to explore South and Central London in a totally unique environment. So that is exactly what we did!! We popped in and ....'enjoyed' the scary London Bridge Experience and the even scarier journey through the London Tombs.

Enjoy the pictures!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb