London - Hong Kong


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were up early this morning to finalise our packing and have a quick breakfast before driving to Heathrow. It was 8.00am as Marilyn and Jim waved us goodbye from their front doorstep. Bernie already had Edna programmed so we put ourselves in her hands for the trip to the airport. We expected that she would take us on the M25 around to Heathrow but, no, we travelled on residential streets for most of the journey along the A4180 and A312 before a short section on the motorway and then into the airport.

It was quite a congested journey and our trip time kept increasing and increasing while Edna assured us that we were still on the fastest route!! We had our doubts about that and our suspicions were confirmed when we were chatting to another couple waiting for the Hertz shuttle to Terminal 4 who said that they had enjoyed a clear run on the M25!!!! Not to worry, we had allowed plenty of time. At least on this occasion we were able to find our way to the Hertz hire car rental returns depot without any arguments!!

At Terminal 4 we found our way without any trouble to the Qantas check-in counter and weighed our bags in. Thank goodness for our 30kg Qantas Club allowance! Mind you, my bag was no heavier than when we left Australia, but Bernie’s was perilously close to the 30kg limit.

With most of our luggage off our hands we proceeded to the British Airways lounge which offers reciprocal services for Qantas Club members. It is probably rather an extravagance paying for our Qantas Club memberships, but it is so much nicer than waiting around at the gate lounge.

We boarded pretty much on time, but then seemed to wait ages before we pulled away from the sky bridge and joined the queue of planes waiting to take off. It was so stuffy in the plane while we were waiting on the tarmac that it sent me to sleep. I woke up only moments before the pilot revved it up for take-off. And that was the best rest I had for the whole flight between London and Hong Kong! I found that I just couldn’t settle at all after the meal had been served. I think I may have dozed for about an hour, but that was about it. Bernie managed a bit more sleep.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb