Group Trip to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
January 18th 2005
Published: January 18th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We took a friday morning train down to london, all 18 of us plus Greg. We dropped off everything at the hostel (good location, right off the circle line) and went to wander around the city. I walked around with the guys until we stumbled upon Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Parliment House (and the anti-Blair/Bush/war peaceful protests outside). We took the tube to the Tower of London, and walked around there. Then to St Pauls Cathedral, walked around Soho and back to the hostel. We met up in the bar and hung out for a bit, then walked around town for a bit, but with 18 of us on the sidewalks at once, it was was a bit much.
Saturday morning we went to Portobello Market. There were maybe 6 to 8 of us that went back to Buckingham Palacefor the changing of the guard, but they only do it every other day in the winter and we missed it. The groups split up some more and I ended up going to the Tate Modern, but you have to get off at a tube stop just north of the Thames, and then cross the river to get to it, so i got a good pic of the river, and then we passed by the globe theater. (small but amazing with inscription of "all the worlds a stage" in the lobby.) Wandered around the Tate for an hour, saw some Dali, Warhol, and other random crap. We grabbed dinner & took a walk along the eastern edge of hyde park at sunset which was so pretty. After some down time at the hostel, i went up to Abbey road so matt s could see the infamous beatles spot.
Sunday morning most of the group went to church at St Pauls for the experience, but i wasn't feeling the church vibe with the clothes i packed. I went for a walk in a different section of hyde park in the morning and ran across the diana memorial, which was quite disappointing actually. Andrea and i walked over to Buckingham for changing of the guards & that was quite a display. The guard band even played 'i got rhythm' which surprised me - maybe the queen doesn't know whats going out outside her house. We split up & i walked around the national portrait gallery by myself for a while, and then just around the city to see more of it before meeting the group back at the hostel at 3 to head out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Tower of LondonTower of London
Tower of London

part of it date back to 1240 AD
Thames RiverThames River
Thames River

The white circular building on the left is the Globe.
Diana MemorialDiana Memorial
Diana Memorial

I was expecting more than this...
Changing of the GuardChanging of the Guard
Changing of the Guard

quick! pack in more tourists!
the crewthe crew
the crew

left to right: Matt S, Lorna, Matt B, me
In the tubeIn the tube
In the tube

Sarah, me, Kelly, Matt B, Matt S, Adam
in front of buckinghamin front of buckingham
in front of buckingham

back row: Adam, Kelly, Sarah, Matt B front row: Lorna, me, Joan, Matt S


Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb