cambridge tour


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
January 13th 2005
Published: January 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Senate HillSenate HillSenate Hill

The Senate House of Cambridge University. At the end of every term they put up boards with students names & grades on it and call it the wailing wall.
We got a walking tour of cambridge from a local woman who didn't talk too loud, so i think i missed like 15% of the tour, but what i did hear was interesting. Cambridge University is made up of 34 colleges, dating back to the 1600s which are all over town with gorgeous historic buildings. We saw where Isaac Newton stayed & the apple tree he sat under (ok, it was a descendant of the apple tree he sat under), the cavendish lab where watson & crick discovered the make up of DNA & the eagle pub where they announced it to the world.
We also met our history professor today, which is interesting since he's an experting in British history, but is Irish... so we're going to get an interesting take on history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

CamCam
Cam

A view of the Cam river.
Isaac NewtonIsaac Newton
Isaac Newton

The room (the one jutting out into the grass) is where Isaac Newton stayed when he studied at Cambridge & the tree outside is a descendant of the apple tree he sat under (though it no longer produces apples, so students tie them on sometimes).
Kings CollegeKings College
Kings College

The chapel is the building in the center where they have a Peter Paul Reuben's Adoration of the Magi (1618) as an altar piece
St Johns CollegeSt Johns College
St Johns College

Notice the 'keep off the grass' sign? Only fellows of the college are allowed to walk across the grass.
Trinity CollegeTrinity College
Trinity College

Trinity's courtyard & the big bay window behind it and to the right is the dining hall


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb