London Calling


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 29th 2005
Published: December 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Getting Ready To DepartGetting Ready To DepartGetting Ready To Depart

Yeah we are smiling NOW!!
After spending about 36 hours in either a plane or an airport we are glad to be in London.

The trip from Sydney to Singapore was okay, seeing as how it was only about 7 hours - and Changi Airport is a wonderful place - full of travelators (hereby dubbed 'lazy walkers') and massage parlours. The said masszage parlour (called My Foot) recieved a visit from Jacki and I - we walked out bruised about 30 minutes later. I also drank about 3 cups of herbal tea - possibly not the best thing to do. Was quick to utilise the public toilets in london, all of which charge an entry fee (the first one was 20p, but we have been charged up to 50!) - suddenly the phrase our mothers threw at us throughout childhood has come into its own - Why didn't you go before you left the house!?

Aside from the toilet situation London was a nice place and wasn't even that cold. The underground is really easy to understand and the stations drop you off right out the front of all the famous landmarks - Tower of London & the Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben
Tower BridgeTower BridgeTower Bridge

We walked along it but were sad it didn't open for any ships :(
& the Houses of Parliament are literally all across the street from the station. Also we marvelled at finding the streets from monopoly! They really exist! Bridie works on Bond Street near Mayfair. Unfortunately we did not get $200 for passing go ( We couldn't find it?)

We were surprised to see that the 'tube' has its own range of merchandise, ranging from underwear (rather disturbing when it's emblazoned with Mind The GAP) to hats and tshirts - not to mention keyrings, pens and postcards - a tourist could go insane. My favourite thing however, were the postcards of Charles and Camilla, exactly what you want to remember from your trip to london.

To finish our first blog, we'll entertain you with Five things we've learnt so far:

* Lift doors open both ways! Don't lean on them. (I nearly learnt the hard way but avoided a jacki to floor collision)
* 15kg Backpack = V sore neck & V sore back
* When the tube announcer says the doors are closing he really means it! which leads to the next point:
* Don't try to help strangers in London Lauren. You are a tourist! Especially when
Westminster AbbeyWestminster AbbeyWestminster Abbey

Yep again, right across from the station!
Jacki is already on the tube and your NOT!
*Don't wear cowboy boots with Backpack. Both V unattractive & V uncomfy!!


Until next time, this is Jak & Loz signing off. Tune in soon when our adventure leads us to Paris - opps I mean France - SORRY LAUREN!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Big BenBig Ben
Big Ben

Its big.


5th December 2005

HEy hey travellers!
Good to see that you guys are keeping me informed about your travels. I need these blogs so that i can live vicariously through you. Hope you are having an awesome time! Miss yas!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb