More from London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 20th 2005
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Simpsons episode reference:
Selma: It needs more eye of newt.
Patti: You always want more eye of newt. If it was up to you, the pot would be full of newt eyes...

Hi guys, that was an attempted segueway (Spelling?? I don't have a dictionary) into the events of the past few days. I thought I'd try and get into the spirit of things and went on a pub crawl around london bridge way and we happen to come across the new globe theatre (hence the eye of newt reference) where they're currently performing the Tempest. But no time for that, we were out downing pints (ok, half pints towards the end of it).

I've yet to bump into an Australian yet (but I haven't frquented a walkabout/expat pub yet), but have bumped into plenty of Americans. Thankfully they have been by and large ok company.

I have also managed to stumble onto Charing Cross road and Soho which I have absolutely fallen in love with. Charing Cross road has everything that I've ever wanted in retail: numerous numerous book stores (new and second hand), music instrument (guitar) stores, a spattering of alternative (goth, tattoo/piercing) outlets and liberated book stores to keep things suitably seedy, and my personal favourite, an outlet that specialises in the buying and selling of tickets to sold out gigs (the girl at the counter became instant marriage material after our conversation about Billy Corgan and the Smashing Pumpkins). Can someone find out for me if Billy Corgan is touring Australia? he sold out both London shows within 2 hours and is now priced at £35 (A$85).

Fil, I think I may have found the perfect job for you, they are looking for someone to help support this important social service in a techie/troubleshooting capacity. Does this not fulfil two of your greatest passions?

The other great thing about charing cross road is it intersects with Chinatown. Ha, Asian food! (I'm determined to give each country's asian food a go). Funnily enough, the place is teeming with overseas students, and no, they don't speak cantonese or mandarin with a strange accent, only I do. Kwai Teow is overpriced and very greasy here, but still palatable.

I've tried not to be too much of a tourist by having the camera out constantly taking pictures of landmarks and antiquities (that rosetta stone must be so over having its picture taken). I've tried to capture the mood of the people and the city instead, but this is tricky because I'm artistically challenged when it comes to visual art.

Greenwich is a beautiful little town, pity about all the american franchises that are there though. Pies with mash and liqour (this white sauce with parsley through it) is hearty but a little bland.

Anyways, I'll let you all get back to work or study now so I'll leave it at that.

Miss you guys,
Ben



Advertisement



Tot: 0.535s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.4968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb