Mind The Gap


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 11th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 14: Fri, May 11th

It has arrived - the last day. We got up early today so we could get to The Tower of London right when they opened. This was a good idea because there was hardly anybody there when we arrived. The first thing we did was head straight for The Crown Jewels, where we got to go round the conveyor belt several times, checking out the jewels to our leisure. Unfortunately you can’t take pictures, but it’s a very impressive display. I especially liked Queen Victoria’s tiny diamond crown, and The Queen Mother’s diamond crown. Tim thinks they are fake’s. But I see no reason they would need to put fakes out. The building looks as secure as Ft. Knox’s. Then we took a Beefeater tour. The crowds were starting to arrive now, and our tour was pretty crowded. But, this really is a fun tour. Our guide was very funny. We also toured ‘The White Tower’, where they keep all the artillerary and Henry VIII’s, um, famous Suit of Armor. The White Tower has been used as a Royal Palace, a fortress and prison. We also saw The Bloody Tower, and the original chapel.

We then headed over to Westminster Abbey for a quick look around. We’ve both been here before. But, it felt as though it’s changed. It’s more structured. They have everything marked, and you have to follow a certain path. It’s still, ofcourse, a highlight of London.

I have to note here. I dislike public transportation in general. Being from LA, it’s a very alien thing to me. But, London’s underground has one of the best systems I’ve ever seen. It’s very easy to understand, and everything is marked for the tourists needs….Plus it has that sweet British voice reminding you to “Mind the Gap between the platform and train…Please Alight here for Piccadilly line, concluding at Cockfosters”.

Afterwards we went to another Museum of sorts. We headed to Harrods. It has a classic department store feel to it, which I liked. We spent a few hours here roaming through their jewelry and home sections, and many Harrods merchandise stores. We also took tea here. A fitting last day to our Great Britain tour.

That's it - The next day we flew back to LA



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Inside the Bloody TowerInside the Bloody Tower
Inside the Bloody Tower

Where Sir Walter Raleigh lived


23rd May 2007

:)
Your tour guide was hot

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb