Quick Tips


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tip #1: Try to take the bus instead of the tube. Not only is it half the price, but it is also more relaxing. Additionally, you get to know different areas and the streets of London.

Tip #2: The moment you get into London buy a 'London A to Z' at the local Tescos super market or other general stores. It will help you get around London and don't worry, even Londoners use them. So pulling out an A to Z will NOT make you stand out as a tourist.

(Note- My mom also sent me a great map of London from a US Barnes and Nobles. This map is more visual and shows all of the boutiques, coffee shops, and landmarks in central London. It is also stain, water, and tare resistant. Quite handy!)

Tip #3: Check the website, http://www.tfl.gov.uk, for tube delays prior to your journey (especially on weekends). This quick check will save you time and money...guaranteed!

Tip #4: At most ATMS, there is a limit of how much money you can take out at one time. Also, each time you withdrawal from an ATM there is about a 5$ service charge. Therefore, when taking out large sums of money, consider visiting one of the American Express offices. Using your bank card, AE can give out British Pound traveller’s checks and turn around and exchange them. There is only a 2% service charge! (http://www134.americanexpress.com/travel/CTNWTServlet?request_type=tsofinder&action=7). I found out that you can buy travellers checks in pounds and turn around and exchange them with only a 2% fee.

Tip #5: Always carry an umbrella!!!

Tip #6: When getting on a bus or the tube, make sure you are headed in the right direction. I was in Hampstead one afternoon and I ran out from the grocery store and jumped on the C11 bus. Sure enough, because I did not know the area, I continued riding the wrong way and ended up at a London mall very VERY far from my flat. I had to take two more buses just to get back home.

Tip#7: Never go out to eat without taking a look at http://www.toptable.co.uk/. This website offers great reviews about local restaurants and fabulous discounts to boot!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb