Scotland and London 2023


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
April 14th 2023
Published: April 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Driving toward the airport
So it was up and at em at 5:30 am. We made it to the Delta Terminal expecting to see it crowded with people. My last experience with Heathrow was it was a mess! It was over crowded, not enough workers, crazy lines everywhere. When Chrissy and I arrived there must have been only 20 people. We went right through baggage, ticketing, and security and were gate side in about 20 minutes. That gave us plenty of time for breakfast. So we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, our last in England, for this time.

We boarded our plane about 9:15 (take off at 10) and we were up in the air and headed toward home. I typically never sleep on the plane going home and this time was no different. I watched a couple of movies and then listened to my mp3 player the rest of the way home. It was a good ride but it still takes about 6.5 hours to complete.

This trip we flew in to Boston. It was the first time I'd flown in to Boston Logan sine 1999 or so. We really had a very short turn around time. We had to go through Passport/Border

Driving toward the airport
control, then pick up our luggage, go through customs (they could search your luggage if then so desired), then take our luggage back to baggage/transfer, go through security (again) and get to our gate. We landed at 12:30 and our next flight to Pittsburgh boarded at 2:00 for a 2:20 take off. I knew we might be cutting it close but I was hopeful Boston Logan was easier to navigate than JFK in New York. We made it and how an hour before take off!

The flight from Boston/Logan was about an hour and fifteen minutes, just long enough for them to serve us a snack and water. We landed, picked up our luggage, and were in the car and on our way home by 4:30! Our only stop was for a sandwich and a drink before heading to Tyler County.

I LOVE to travel but i LOVE coming home!!

On the way Home Chrissy and I talked bout our likes and dislikes. Our favorite places were Edinburgh and Lyme Regis. Edinburg is a big city with a small city feel. Even though there were lots of people out and about it didn't feel crowded and it

Driving toward the airport
wasn't loud. I need to spend more time there. Lyme Regis was an awesome seaside town with so much history. Sadly the weather didn't always cooperate with us there. Its a place I'd like to revisit ad perhaps rent a car so I could see the countryside around the area. Of course I love London and could spend more time there. London is so spread out and it takes time to get around either by train, car, or bus.

Our favorite food was fish and chips....ANYWHERE! We never had any that was bad. It was so crispy, but not greasy, and the portions were enormous! We had the best shortbread from a little bakery in Lyme Regis. I wish they could send some to me! It was amazing! They had a caramel chocolate covered shortbread that was just out of this world so good! We also loved everything we ate at the Rock Point Inn Pub in Lyme Regis.

One of our other favorite foods was Haggis. Now if you looked up haggis and read what was in it, you probably wouldn't eat it. I tried it when I was in Scotland last year and liked it and
...

Breakfast at the airport
Chrissy is very adventuresome. We had it several times and loved it, but our favorite was the haggis sausage we at in Edinburgh at The Parson's Table Cafe. It was awesome!

While in Edinburgh Chrissy wanted to try several local dishes which we were able to try at Greyfriar's Bobby Pub. We had haggis, neeps, and tatties which is Traditional Scottish dish of lamb and hearty oatmeal with aromatic mixed spices, with mashed swede (turnips or rutabagas), potatoes and gravy. We had cullen skink (smoked fish) and cranachan - Traditional Scottish dessert of smooth whipped cream, sweet honey, a dash of whisky, raspberries and golden toasted oats. The ;cranachan was out of this world!

We all tried a Scottish Egg, but it was in a pub in London.

It was a great trip! I enjoyed sharing the experience with my kids and it was fun to get their take on everything. But as always, every good trip has to come to a close and this one is now over. I am writing this last day from my computer on my back porch and am glad to be home!

Till next time!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Breakfast at the airport


Breakfast at the airport


Raining when we left
Cape cod.Cape cod.
Cape cod.

Outline of Cape Cod


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb