Westminster Village


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
January 20th 2021
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

23rd November 2020

Westminster

A trip closer to home today and an early start. Anthony was our guide and at 8am the London streets around Westminster were busy with people going to work by bus, cycle or walking.

We are all familiar with seeing Big Ben shrouded in what Anthony called it’s ‘Metal Jacket’ and now we also have the Houses of Parliament under a massive refurbishment. The refurbishment due to cost £4bn & estimated to be completed by the 2030s.

We crossed the road into Parliament Square, the square is home to 12 statues of British, Commonwealth and foreign political figures.

Anthony’s knowledge of the history of these statues and the surrounding buildings was excellent.

Our route to Whitehall we pass so many red telephone boxes which are mostly used by tourists for taking selfie photos than actually making a call. As we enter Whitehall the sun is now shining.

Taking this walk reminded me of when a friend visited from USA back in the summer of 2018 and I became her tour guide for the day.

Today it looks a lot chillier as we continue passed the Cenotaph & Downing Street and back to Parliament Square where Anthony our Blue Badge guide bids us farewell.

Another enjoyable tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb