Bowie & Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
January 20th 2021
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

25th November 2020

Berlin

David Bowie spent one of the most fruitful periods of his career 1976-1979 living in Berlin with fellow musician Iggy Pop. During this time, he kept himself separated from drugs and alcohol in a city divided. Bowie knew a different Berlin than that which exists today.

We started our tour with Martin at Potsdamer Platz for many years the location of a ghost station. When the Berlin Wall was built on August 13, 1961, it divided the city as well as the transportation system but two subway lines and one commuter rail line with departure and destination stations in West Berlin continued to run through the eastern sector. The trains would slow down, but they did not stop at these deserted stations in East Berlin. Blocked off and patrolled by GDR armed guards, they became known as “ghost stations.”

As we continued our walk a row of cobbles in the road followed the line of the Berlin Wall as a permanent reminder.

Parts of the wall still stand and it was interesting to hear that rounded sewage pipes were added along the top of the wall, being rounded it was felt people would not be able to get a firm grip to climb over!

Our guide continued to give interesting facts about the years spent in Berlin by David Bowie and although I’m not a particular fan it was fascinating to hear how this icon lived his life in Berlin.

We passed Hansa Studios not far from Potsdamer Platz, which was located as a no man’s land during the years that Bowie lived there. The studio overlooked the Berlin Wall, which was an inspiration for his hit song ‘Heroes.’

A photographic image changes depending on where you are standing outside the building.

Our tour ended at the site of Checkpoint Charlie, now one of Berlin’s most popular tourist attractions but today no tourists only us on the virtual tour.

Well I’m off to Barcelona next so better get my bags backed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb