Monday our first day in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 11th 2019
Published: June 11th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our overnight flight to London was absolutely perfect. Cathy and I were treated to the exit row seat so we had about 4 feet of room in front of us, and, since the plane was configured 2-5-2 there was no middle seat. The bathroom was directly in front of us as well. Absolutely perfect for sleeping. Now, as many of you may recall from previous flights, I am often called upon to help in some medical emergency. Someone is always getting sick or dehydrated or having a heart attack. This time, the flight was quiet, no one got sick and I slept about 4 hours of the 6.5-hour flight.

One thing I must point out. Before you fly, call the airline and check your food options. Cathy has some weird issues with food right now, seems she is allergic to everything, so we called and got her a Gluten Free Meal. I asked for a Kosher meal, knowing that that is the best food option. My dinner and breakfast were actually delicious. The main course consisted of Bar B Que chicken, rice, white cake with chocolate frosting and some fresh fruit for dinner. Breakfast was fresh fruit, bread and butter, juice and eggs. Cathy, however, did not fare as well.

Since foods without gluten seem to be tasteless, she was treated to an unedible hard, and I mean HARD roll, chicken in sweet potato (edible) and salad. For dinner. There was no dessert! So basically she dined on her tasteless granola bar. Breakfast was some kind of hard bar, fruit, which she can't eat and coffee. Bummer for sure.

The flight was on time and we hit the tarmac in London's Heathrow airport at 11:07 in the morning. Departing the airport, through customs was also a breeze. Once we had our bags, we left the sterile area and quickly found our Trafalgar representative who quickly made arrangements in a chauffeur driven car to take us to our hotel. For those of you thinking about booking a tour, do book the local transportation to and from the airport from the tour operator. They meet you right after you get your bags and take you directly to the hotel, no worries.

Our hotel was on the south side of London directly across from the Thames River. A prime location for sure. Check-in was a breeze and soon we were up in the room, settled in, and ready for lunch.

Before lunch, we had to check with Trafalgar again so we could get the final tour directions for the next two days. Our Italian representative was a little slow with American colloquialisms so making myself understood was a challenge! Soon, however, we were checked-in and ready for a day on our own in London proper.

There was a nice pub just two blocks away so we left the hotel and, BOOM walked into a light rain. Now there is nothing that kills the mood on vacation than rain so I was NOT happy. Fortunately, the Pub was very close and we got there none too wet.

Now, this was a very local pub offering a smattering of pub foods and attended by several large burly men who were obviously enjoying the libations, perhaps a little too much! Cathy and I sat at a table in the main dining room and I ordered a fish and chips, while Cathy got a pub burger sans bread. I got a beer and Cathy rounded it off with decaf coffee.

When the fish and chips came I was surprised to see a huge piece of fish and a small bowl of fries. Cathy was served a large burger, salad, and pickles. The food was excellent for sure. As a seasoned traveler, I always eat the local food and I suggest you do the same. There is nothing like the experience of eating locally. You can always have a hot dog at home, so be adventurous and try the local fare.

While dining, I was taking some photos in the Pub and the burly men decided to join in making faces as I photographed the locale. We all laughed and I shook their hands. They were all locals so I could not understand a word they said. Their English accent and the speed of their speech was next to impossible to understand. One guy was from Ireland and I had no idea what he was saying at all!

Our check came and we headed out, again into a slight drizzle. Our goal was to find something to do and not drown doing it. We crossed the street and almost lost our lives! The main problem is we in the US drive on the right side of the road while in England they drive on the wrong side of the road, so you look to the left and see no cars coming; meanwhile, the car is coming from the right! I almost walked in front of a lovely black Mercedes! One cool thing we noticed, is that at SOME crossings they printed on the street LOOK RIGHT. I guess I am not the only one dumb enough to walk in front of unseen cars.

We walked along the Thames towards the London Eye, a huge Ferris wheel that was added some years ago as a short time tourist attraction. It did so well they kept it going. For the small fee of 30 pounds, you can get a ride on the wheel. It takes half an hour to go around, the view is breathtaking. Cathy does not like Ferris wheels so we passed on the opportunity.

By this time I was wet and freezing so we stopped in a shop and I bought a heavy hooded sweatshirt, which I quickly donned and pulled up the hood. Of course, as soon as I did, the rain stopped! We continued our walk and headed across the Thames and found ourselves at the foot of the famous Big Ben. Now many people think this term refers to the large clock in the tower in front of Parliament, they would be wrong. Big Ben refers to the bell inside the clock tower, which chimes ONLY on the hour. The bells at Westminster Abbey, next door, chime on the quarter, half and three-quarter hour, only Big Ben chimes on the hour. Good to know.

We walked all over the center of London but soon it was time for dinner. Our goal was to head toward Kensington Gardens and eat in one of the local restaurants, but on the way, we spotted a little dive called Pasta Don's, established 1978. The food was calling and so we answered.

This was a perfect little local place, locally owned and operated by Italians directly from the old country. I ordered a plate of mussels over fettucini with red sauce, Cathy got Ziti in a Pomodoro. The food was excellent and all too soon it was time to leave and walk about 2.5 miles home. Unfortunately, the rain returned with a vengeance. We started walking towards the hotel, keeping an eye out for a London Cab. Not one single cab was available. We had no choice but to keep walking. Cold and wet, I finally hailed a cab. We jumped in and gave him the name of the hotel and he asked: "Which one?"

"What? What do you mean "which one?"

Apparently, there are two Park Plaza Hotels. I told him it was the one close to the river, like right across the street from the Thames. He nodded and within 3 minutes we were back to our hotel and headed for a much-needed rest. I set the alarm for 6:45 AM and off we were for a much deserved and needed rest.

Some points we learned today:

Londoners have no idea where anything is. We stopped several folks and asked directions to a pub, Trafalgar Square or other locales and they could not give us directions we could follow. It was, turn here, turn there go 50 meters and it is right there. Actually no it's not. We had to use a map and dumb luck to find our way around.

Traffic is a nightmare. The average speed within London is 4 MPH. So if you are going someplace, leave enough time to get there.

Locals cross the street anytime anyplace. Tourists should not follow. We tried several times to cross when the locals were crossing a busy street and nearly got killed most of the time. The locals zig and zag, run and stop (like a squirrel) while crossing the street. They chance it, you shouldn't.

Londoners may speak English, but not the same way we do. Between speed, accent and slurring their words, most Londoners are utterly impossible to understand.

Generally, food in tourist areas is expensive and not very good. Walk down the side streets and look for the local fare. They have every type of food imaginable including fast food. Eat where you see locals eating, you can't go wrong there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb