Getting to know the Elephants of Thailand


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 23rd 2018
Published: November 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

When headed to Thailand you must of course try the delicious Thai cuisine and visit one of its major cities such as Bangkok or Chiang Mai, but also high on the list of things to do,is to experience the outstanding wildlife and take a walk on the wild side with all the magnificent animals that roam the country. One animal in particular that is most certainly a sight to see are the ever-striking elephants.

As the elephant population is dwindling in Thailand, down from 100,000 to 3,000-4,000 over the past century, elephants are now housed in elephant sanctuaries across the country, where, for the most part, they are well taken care of by volunteers who aim to give them good lives, despite them not being able to roam free.

These sanctuaries have become popular tourist attractions where visitors are given the chance to help out around the sanctuaries, which involves collecting and preparing food, feeding the elephants and some even give you the opportunity to interact with them as you give them a nice scrub. An added bonus? The chance to try some local pan-Asian cuisine – Elephant Nature Park is a reputable elephant sanctuary near the city of Chiang Mai, where elephants are able to roam across 250 acres of land. Volunteers can come for a ½ day up to 7 days and participate in a variety of activities from feeding and bathing the elephants to the less glorious jobs of scooping elephant poo and maintaining mud pits – the longer you stay, the more immersed you’re able to get, which enables you to truly get an authentic experience.

For a more luxurious experience, Elephant Hills offers a luxury tented experience, which is more of an all-inclusive holiday in the jungles of Thailand, in Khao Sok. At Elephant Hills, you are given the opportunity to feed, bathe and interact with the elephants while also partaking in activities such as canoeing, exploring mangrove swamps, visiting local markets and sampling the great cuisine.

Another great volunteering experience is at Burm& Emily’s Elephant Sanctuary( BEES), offering a different experience as volunteers help care for old, injured and retired elephants. On top of taking care of elephants, volunteers are given the option to partake in a plethora of activities such as teaching English to local children, planting trees, visiting local temples and even learning to cook. Cooking classes include the opportunity to learn how to make some delicious Thai desserts, dishes that restaurants around the world recreate to give everyone the chance to taste these sweet treats. For some delicious Thai food, West Hampstead is home to Banana Tree, which not only offers lip-smacking Thai dessert, but other signature dishes including the ever-famous phad Thai and sticky Thai wings.

These are just a few of the countless incredible sanctuaries in Thailand that give elephants a safe and welcoming place to live and spend their days in contentment. It’s thanks to volunteers and visitors that these animals are well-taken care of, so as you plan your trip to Thailand, think about the elephants and be sure to add in a visit to see and take care of them on what is sure to be a trip of a lifetime.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb