5 Tips To Get The Most From An International SIM


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 25th 2018
Published: October 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Are you a frequent traveler or planning to take your first trip? Guess you are worried about how to stay connected abroad. Stories of skyrocketing roaming charges are everywhere. Luckily, you can travel smartly with an international card. With this, you will stay connected online, receive calls, and make calls cheaply regardless of where you’re using a single SIM card. Consider these 5 tips to get the most from an international SIM.



Ensure that your phone is unlocked

When traveling abroad, ensure that your phone is unlocked. This will make the phone able to support the prepaid international SIM. To check whether the phone is unlocked, try inserting in the prepaid SIM and check whether the network shows. Alternatively, you can check online using your phone’s IMEI. It’s your phone’s unique identification number. To view your phone’s IMEI, dial *#06# and it will be displayed.

Configure APN settings

You might have to configure your operator’s APN for your phone to use the network data. Perhaps you can just follow the automatic APN configuration instructions from the provider on inserting the SIM in the phone. For any troubleshooting, ensure to consult the operator FAQs in the manual provided or on the operator website. A simple Google search with the operator and your phone model will give you instructions on configuring your phone to access data.

Know your data requirement

Perhaps you know how much data you use in a particular period. This depends on how long you keep online and phone configuration. To determine how much data you use, install an application to track how much data each application consumes. Understanding your data requirement will make it easy to determine how much you will need on your trip. This will ensure that you purchase the best SIM card for international travel with enough data to last you on the journey. it will be easy to budget for the trip and to keep you connected without worry about roaming fees.

Don't update WhatsApp on your phone

With your phone now accessing data on the international prepaid SIM, WhatsApp might request to be updated with the new number if you use your regular phone but just switched the lines. However, don’t register the new number on WhatsApp . The application will work seamlessly with the new SIM with all existing conversations and groups kept intact. And, it will be easier for your friends, family, and business colleagues to reach you on your old number.

No need for a dual-SIM phone

There’s no need to switch your regular phone for a dual SIM phone so that you can travel with your old SIM and the international SIM in the same phone. You have to just remove the old SIM from your phone and replace it with the prepaid international SIM. Luckily, you just have to divert all calls from your old SIM to the international SIM. This will ensure that you don’t miss any important call without worry about roaming charges.

Final thought

Investing in a prepaid international SIM is a must-have for travelers. It’s a wonderful idea to stay connected regardless of which part of the world you’re traveling to.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb