London - Starting to Feel Like Home!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
September 27th 2016
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.4989, -0.127287

We were out the door bright and early and off to our usual bus stop. We felt quite superior as we heard the tourists trying to work out where they were and where they should be getting off for what sight.

Our first stop was St Paul's Cathedral for a quick look. Yet another incredible building that is too hard to get photos that do it justice. Suddenly I am the gawking tourist again.

The main event of the day was the Tower of London. Queues weren't anything near what we had been led to believe and we joined the Yeoman's guided tour. There are 37 yeoman of the Tower at any one time and they all have served at least 22 years in Her Majesty's military service with a rank of at least sergeant major or equivalent. But instead of being a bunch of crusty old soldiers, they are the most entertaining, knowledgeable guides I have met. The explanations of the history of the Tower and those who had lived and, of course, died there were captivating. A 'must do' in my book.

We sailed along the Thames back to Parliament building - Linda was itching to drive, she is missing the canal boat. From there we strode confidently to Trafalgar Square, through Pall Mall and Regent St to Piccadilly where we bought two houses and went directly to goal (whoops, that's Monopoly isn't it?) - where we caught our bus to the Wellington memorial to see the New Zealand Memorial. It has been quite controversial, being very different to the usual statue of some old military fellow on a prancing horse. It looks like a bunch of black roofing beams stuck in the ground but when you look at them, each has something special about NZ on it, rugby, treaty of Waitangi quotes, when the first frozen lamb was shipped... All sorts of information about the links between NZ and Britain. I liked it.

We are now at the functional Ibis airport hotel, preparing for the flight home. However the journey doesn't end yet - there is still the exciting South Island expedition to follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



27th September 2016

Great snapshot of the sights and for some of us a reminder of good times had in the past. A+ mark for the blog Ms Harrex! Look forward to the next SI installment... Travel safe young lady.
28th September 2016

Aren't you glad you are not one of those naughty queens and having to look at that view all day. It's enough to to make one loose their head.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb