Houses of parliament, westminster abbey and Greenwich


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Friday
We went to the mother of parliaments today. Got to sit in both the commons & lords. The lords had a labour (note spelling) lord speaking eloquently and coherently without notes. The commons had a conservative speaker who exemplified the typical English twit!!! What was interesting was the good natured banter which seems to have disappeared from our parliament.
The houses of parlt are nearly 1000 years old. Interesting that the mother of parliaments has plaques on the floor indicating where both Charles 1 and William Wallace were brought to be sentenced to death. Maybe we needed all of those thousand years for parliamentary democracy to evolve.
In turn we mock and rage against, and are disgusted by our politicians. They let us down with unerring regularity. They behave with a cynicism which is breathtaking at times. They appeal to our base desires and rarely inspire us to fly with the angels. The system is unfair, representation is often inequitable, and the big end of town and the spivs are privileged by its processes. But outcomes are negotiated and progress is made, even if it’s 2 steps forward and one back. And look at the alternative.
There was a certain synergy in our visits today. We also went to the WW2 underground war bunker used by Winston Churchill, to Westminster abbey and to Buckingham palace. Churchill’s commitment was to Britain and empire rather than democracy. He was an imperialist with racist undertones. He changed parties more than Billy Hughes. But, he was the right man at the right time in the right position. By force of will he appeared to single handedly stand alone against the might of Germany for 2 years. He was a contradiction hidden inside an enigma. As is Britain.
On Wednesday we saw some horse guards on guard at their barracks in Whitehall. Two of them were black. Their presence was both heartening and disconcerting. Heartening because it indicates that the traditional barriers to non favoured elements of the popluation’s participation in British traditional pomp and circumstance, are being broken down by the increasingly multicultural face of Britain. Disconcerting because groups like the National Front and other right wing groups refuse to accept this new order.
There is much debate over here about budget cuts and tightening the belt. Perhaps they could start with public servants. One street off Whitehall set aside for public servants’ parking was inhabited exclusively by taxpayer funded BMWs, Jaguars and range rovers.
Saturday
Another brilliant day (we saw the sun). Travelled by ferry to Greenwich and back. Greenwich is just beautiful. It is like this expansive village green with world heritage listed buildings. It used to be the naval academy, now the uni of Greenwich and of course the observatory. Edmund Halle was the second Astronomer royal. Much of the observatory’s displays centred on telescopes (naturally) and clocks. The story of john Harrison and his 40 year search for a clock which could maintain GMT on ships in order to determine longitude was a central focus. The tv series LONGITUDE was a great representation of this search.

From Liz
Newcastle could certainly learn a lot about public transport from London.........

And Jess, Halle would be howling all the time with all the sirens we keep hearing, police or ambos mostly.

The Ledbury. Where to start? For those not in the know, Barney worked with the mother of Brett Graham, who owns and is the head chef in this restaurant. We had to have a meal here! A 2 michelin star place in a far from upmarket area. Service is impeccable, as is food and presentation. We were given a 10 course degustation with matching wines.
Briefly.... ceviche of scallops;mackerel with wasabi; monk fish with sqiud's ink, clams and mussels; buffalo milk curds with wild mushrooms; 24 hour roasted lamb with lamb crackling and hazelnuts; pork cheek with artichoke. Four desserts - rhubarb trio of compote, sorbet and yoghurt; creme caramel with vanilla bean and apricot sorbets; chocolate and hazelnut duo of ice cream and a sort of very thick mousse; and gingerbread and honey tart and ice cream. All were accompanied by a superbly matched wine. We could not have eaten another morsel by the end - we said no to a cheese plate!!! We were taken downstairs to the kitchen to meet the chef - Brett wasn't there - who is another Aussie. Altogether an amazing night. words can't do it justice.

concert last night at St Martins in the Field was brilliant - a short piece by Mahler, and Brahms' Requiem.

We've done Churchill's war rooms today - really interesting. It must have been extremely claustrophic being down there for long hours. they were apparently given sun lamp treatment once a week.

Also did houses of Parliament. British politicians are no more interesting than ours, but their surroundings are much more opulent! House of Lords is worth a fortune with all the gold in there! Then on to the Abbey. Not an inch left without interring someone.or at least putting in a memorial!!! Amazing history! Walked down through St James Park to Buck Palace and took the obligatory photo. Family not at home - all at Anglesey (spelling?) visiting Will.

Going soon for a Lebanese or Italian meal

Love to all


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb