O'toole's commentary on murphy's law: Murphy was an optimist


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Changi
March 30th 2011
Published: March 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I am writing this somewhere above the Indian ocean. I’ve always longed to begin a journal with a sentence like that.
We have organised our travel arrangements to within an inch of their lives. Everything has been done. Nothing was left to chance. Unless of course you count the fact that we confused our departure time from London for our return trip with our departure time in Sydney for our flight out. As a result we arrived at the airport on Monday in plenty of time for our 10.00pm flight to find that our 5.05 flight had left without us.
24 hours and $300 for accommodation and expenses later we find ourselves finally on our way.

later
It is 12 pm Sydney time. Everyone has been asleep for the past 3 hours. We are preparing for our descent into Singapore.

later
The onboard entertainment lets you see the path of your flight. Interesting that we passed over a number of significant places.
Chechnya, the hotbed of Caucasus troubles for the past 20 years
Sevastapol where the gallant 600 rode into the valley of death
Baku, the oil capital of Russia. In 1941 Hitler ignored the advice of his generals and decided to split his forces and send them on a mad gallop to capture BAKU. This left the forces around stalingrad severely weakened and the subsequent defeat was the beginning of the end for Germany.
and Kiev. given the train wreck that has been the japanese nuclear industry, we should take heed of the lesson of chernobyl.

Much Later


We arrived at 7am and have just checked in to our accommodation. Nouveau Shabby would be the best description although it is clean.
Imagine one of those dull wet wintry days in july where the temp never gets above 15 degrees. that's spring in london.
We did trafalgar square, st martins in the field and whitehall today.
Tonight it's the Ledbury.
till the next entry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb