London - The Sights


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Mile End
June 1st 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was our main sightseeing day. We had planned to make it to Buckingham Palace in time to see the changing of the guards which they do everyday. Walking through the park by the Palace and stopping to have a look at the cute squirrels on the way. Surprising they put on a pretty big performance with horses, a band and a lot of guards when all they were doing was changing over two guards. We couldn’t work out if they do that everyday or once a week or if they were even practicing for the Queens parade which was in a few weeks. It was still great to see and the crowds were huge! Luckily we got there early so Sophia and I were able to get a good place right up by the gate so we could see most things.

Once we decided we had seen enough we walked through another park stopping to have a look at the New Zealand memorial just across from Buckingham Palace. We then headed up to Harrods which is a massive department store for the rich. It has everything from designer handbags to food to pets. We only went there for a look of course. Rhonda led us straight up to the pet accessories which was really funny. They had anything you could possibly need for your pet including designer clothes and toys. One was a chewy vition chewing toy. We also saw some animals on sale costing a fortune probably. We then walked on pass the dog spa where we saw some dogs getting a good wash and their nails trimmed. Next door to the spa was a gym that had a treadmill for the dogs playing 101 Dalmatians above on a TV.

We carried on walking through the parks up to Kensington Palace which is where Diana lived before she died. There wasn’t really much to see as they were renovating the place. From there we caught the tube to Westminster Abby. We weren’t able to take any photos inside the church so I don’t have much photos of Westminster Abby. We got an audio guide which told us a lot about the huge church. Surprisingly a lot of people are buried there – mostly royals. But we saw Isaac Newton’s grave there. We were keen to see what the place looked like inside after the Royal wedding. But most people there wouldn’t have been able to see anything apart from the first few rows on either side of the alter and the choir.

We then had a quick look at Big Ben and 10 Dowding Street before heading to the London Eye. It was nice to have a little rest and enjoy the view of London.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb