Arriving in London...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Heathrow Airport
October 23rd 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

hello everyone!

Well here i am, i have made it safe and sound to the other side of the world! PHEW! It was such a lonnnnnnnnng flight but i made it through and thankfully am showing no signs of DVT! however i have been paranoid at the slightest little ache or pain!! BUT i am slowly geting over that and am enjoying being in a new country..

so i guess i will start with the flight.. nothing too exciting to report.. the first leg of the trip (only 9hrs!) was pretty quick and easy, i was in the window seat with 2 lovely, quiet, small people and was able to get out pretty much whenever i wanted. We had 3 movies on that flight and a really nice dinner, Thai Red Beef curry... it was acutally really good!

Then we arrived in Bangkok for a 2hr stopover. Apparently the airport we landed at was only 3 weeks old! So everything was very bright and clean and new looking. There were sooo many shops, i had to put the blinkers on while on the way to the gate!! It was pretty tough, considering our gate was about a 2km walk from where we landed.. you can fit a lot of shops into that space!!

I met a lovely English lady on the way over so i stuck with her at the airport and managed not to get lost, so that was great! We finally found our gate and i kid you not, they must have chosen THE furthest possible one for us to leave from!! It seriously took us about 20mins to get there!

Anyways we got through the scanners and everything was fine, then we get to the top of the stairs that lead us down to the actual gate and we are met with a Body Search, apparently Lighters were on the agenda, and then a hand luggage search... really regretted packing that ultra padded black lacy bra!! haha.. Anyway so we go thru there and it was downstairs to sit on the very uncomfortable metal seats while staring out the windows into the darkenss...

So we wait for around 40mins and then board the plane, ready for the 12hr part of the trip. I was hoping and wishing and crossing my fingers that i would get a couple of spare seats and to my delight i ended up getting a WHOLe row to myself! So it didnt take long, once we took off, i was out like a light. about 7hrs later i wake up and the whole plane is pitch black and everyone is snoring away.. so i try and sleep for a few more hours to waste some time. But its not as easy as you would think... 7 or so hours of sleep is actually pretty good so i didnt feel to tired after that!! The next 5hrs were probably the longest of my life! i ended up reading some harry Potter, listening to my ipod and trying to nap.

Eventually the captain called out that we were starting our decent, i looked out to see london and all i got was a blanket of clouds!! No kidding, all i could see were thick white clouds and not a hint of land anywhere! So we started circling for what seemed like forever, and eventually got beneath the clouds and saw that we were practically hitting the runway already, thats how low these clouds were. So my first glimpse of my new home was a very grey and wet one!

In the weeks leading up to this flight i had been imagining what it would be like when i got off the plane and saw Byron for the first time in 2mths, like would we have a movie-like greeting where we run into each others arms and everything is perfect... yeah well that was the plan, but unfortunately it wasnt to be! you see, on my ticket it said i was landing at Terminal 1, which makes sense as its the international terminal. BUT for some unknown reason, when i arrived at 'Terminal 1' Byron was no where to be seen! So i gave him a call before i started freaking out, and we tried to identify something similar to where we both were. But nope nothing was matching up. So after about 30secs of trying to work it out, my phone cuts out. No Credit! i get sent a text msg from Optus advising me that i have no credit and i need to 'call this free number' to recharge. so i call the number and am told that i need to first register whih only takes '3-4mins', but by this stage i am in a real panic as i am meant to be getting picked up but there has been a big mistake and now i am standing in heathrow airport in a country i have never been in before with my massive luggage and no idea where to go or what to do!

So anyway i get across to the optus guy that i need credit ASAp as i am trying to find my boyfriend, and he is really nice and gives me the credit without first calling Australia to make sure i exist..? Yeah, anyway so i get the credit about 5mins later and am able to call Byron and see where he is.

we work out that i am actually at Terminal 3 (no signage anywhere, i had to ask an old man) so Byron heads as fast as he can to where i am and then like i had originally visualised it, he comes up the escalator and rushes over and gives me the big hug that i need as i am all sweaty from being so stressed out and panicked! Even though, looking back on it now, i didnt really need to get that worried, its not like we werent going to be able to find each other...

ANYWAYS... so that was my first taste of England... We then caught the tube to Earls Court to dump my gear at Byrons mates place and so i could have a shower before we went out to have a look at London...which i will tell you ALLLL about in the next edition of Taylor and Odell!!!



Advertisement



26th October 2006

Boring.......
Thats 2 minutes im never going to get back........ Jokes, have fun boys!
26th October 2006

HOW RUDEĀ¬
Skelly, why do you even bother reading my travel blog if you are just going to make RUDE comments!! ASSHOLE! haha..sorry i will try and pick up the standard from now on.. Hope you're haing fun back home!
26th October 2006

the photos
where are the photos
27th October 2006

prague
we want lots of photos of prague, including the accomodation, castle etc. have a wonderful weekend away.
30th October 2006

slack with the updates
where is the next exciting episode, which includes Prague... I hope you had an awesome time and look forward to reading all about it along with seeing the photos. Weather is warming up over here, 26 degrees today. Miss you

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb