On our way home


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Heathrow Airport
February 17th 2008
Published: February 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mike's first taxi rideMike's first taxi rideMike's first taxi ride

He didn't quite fit in the front seat...
Heh--

Just a note mainly to let the girls know that we're on our way home (Saturday) and are at Heathrow. Had a good flight in from Kolkata (10 + hours) and have 5 hours in the airport.

Friday, after using the computer at the JU Guest House to post an entry, we went back to the Adult Ed Department and I was able to meet with the Department for another couple of hours. Saw pictures from the Conference 5 February and met a doctoral student who wanted to talk to me some. She came with us into town while Sushil was at a Deparmental meeting, accompanying us to the Birla Science and Technology Museum and Birla Mandir, a Hindu Temple we'd passed several times. We were not allowed to take cameras into the temple but were allowed to wander throughout (luckily, I remembered to walk clockwise around the altars).

Friday evening, after a ride in a rickshaw (the poor driver's still recovering), we had dinner at a restaurant near Sushil's house, with his family, and an exciting ride home--the first taxi broke down, tried to charge us WAY too much for the few minutes we were in
Birla Mandir Birla Mandir Birla Mandir

Temple guards
the cab but then, without rancor that we'd refused, found us another cab and told him right where to take us. That guy took us back to the hotel and the meter read 58 when we arrived--versus the 192 the one earlier in the day had read to go about the same distance! Some (very little bit) was being stuck in traffic but most of the 192, I'm afraid, was that he hit the "stupid rich American" button on the meter when we first got in. Made for the excitement for the evening! Great evening with Sushil & his family, though.

Saturday, we shopped (yes, some more), wandered around Kolkata a bit, and then took Sushil and family to a restaurant (the Bar-B-Q again) for a pleasant, delicious meal as a Thank You for all the gifts and time they spent with us. Then back to the hotel to shower, nap, rest, pack, and leave for the airport about 12:30 a.m. for the VERY long trip home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Plywood shopPlywood shop
Plywood shop

on a corner
Rickshaw DriverRickshaw Driver
Rickshaw Driver

Difficult to see how thin this poor guy is--but he had to work VERY hard to pedal along our 400 or so pounds. Sushil wanted us to ride in one and I was actually a bit embarassed. Happily it was a short ride, from near campus, to his house.
At Sushil's flatAt Sushil's flat
At Sushil's flat

before we went out to dinner at a nice local restaurant (Rimil's, I think)
At SushilAt Sushil
At Sushil

his family--this is Friday evening
DakshinapanDakshinapan
Dakshinapan

in Dhakuria, for more shopping Saturday. This is the overpass to get there--a group of stores featuring artisan craft work from different states.
Rose in the TaxiRose in the Taxi
Rose in the Taxi

Crowded taxi ride to a restaurant
In trafficIn traffic
In traffic

Pedestrians just wander along with the traffic...
Posted Traffic RulesPosted Traffic Rules
Posted Traffic Rules

Like anyone pays attention to them!
Group at DinnerGroup at Dinner
Group at Dinner

Saturday afternoon--great time!
Sushil's FamilySushil's Family
Sushil's Family

after lunch
Street vendorsStreet vendors
Street vendors

in between cars
Wedding CarWedding Car
Wedding Car

fresh flowers
Birla MandirBirla Mandir
Birla Mandir

Hindu Temple which we visited but were not allowed to take the camera in. Lovely temple.
Seat belt useSeat belt use
Seat belt use

by the cab driver


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb