Tower of London & London Bridge!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Earls Court
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Tower of LondonTower of LondonTower of London

Taken from the boardwalk next to the Thames.
We seem to be enjoying taking our time in the mornings, you get to the stage where you don't want to be rushing everywhere! Left our Earls Court Road apartment after 10, hit the nearest Tube Station and ye again Dean navigated us safely to Tower Hill tube station. It's nice to be on clean trains after the Paris and Italy ones! We had pre bought tickets for Tower of London so went there first, stopping for some lunch then exploring the castle and grounds. It has an amazing history, dating back to 1070 when William the Conqueror built his mighty fortress, and it now houses the Crown Jewels, extensive armory, seven ravens (of course!) and many intriguing stories. The architecture is stunning, as are all the collections - to see the Crown Jewels was pretty special, and I know I enjoyed learning more about Queen Elizabeth's coronation ceremony and the significance of the orb and scepter. We ended up heading out mid afternoon and walked over to London Bridge after huge hot chocolates next to the Thames, enjoying the views. The London Bridge tour and exhibition was interesting, and we walked along both the East and West walkways taking in the London skylines and getting some great photos. Following that it was onto the Engine room where you could look at the steam driven hydraulic engines that are used to lift the bridge. Back to the station, unfortunately at peak hour so very busy, but all home in one piece! Our next days agenda should include Madame Tussaud's, a London bus tour (so no getting stuck driving round and round a huge roundabout looking at Big Ben a million times!) and maybe a cruise on the river. On Wednesday, we're planning and girls day and a boys day - we need to mix up the dynamics a bit, plus we need some shopping therapy away from the boys!!!
We wanted to let you all know, too, that we love reading your individual messages and comments. Unfortunately we sometimes don't have enough time to reply to each of them, but really love hearing from you all. It's so nice to be able to keep in touch so easily, not like the old days!! Love to everyone and GO CATS!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Inside The Beauchamp Tower.Inside The Beauchamp Tower.
Inside The Beauchamp Tower.

Carvings in the wall by a prisoner in the Tower in the 1500's.
We're famous!We're famous!
We're famous!

We're planning to eat here tonight - the menu looks great!


23rd September 2008

Tower of London
It's fantastic to be sharing the trip with you in such detail.....look forward to checking your updates each night when I get home. Just noticed a technical glitch with your photos on the Anarchy in the UK 'edition'......thought you might like to know.
24th September 2008

Ale
Have a Fullers PuB pie and the Ale for me . Enjoying reading your Blog. Auntie Patti
24th September 2008

hi fuller family, just caught up with all your travels WOW what a great trip you have experienced. I loved all your photos . see you soon Richards family.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb