NEW YEAR’S EVE


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Covent Garden
December 31st 2016
Published: January 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Since we cancelled our day trip to Kent, we had nothing scheduled for the day. We slept in and then took a short walk to get a Dreamgirlsprogram and to Tesco then back to the room. I spent the time getting caught up on the last two days’ blogs. The crowds were really beginning to arrive for the evenings activities, much different than when we arrived before Christmas.

Our only plan for the day was Dinner at Clos Maggiore, I very nice restaurant in Convent Garden, which we had to pre-pay for when we made reservations. We had walked by it several times during our stay and it looked very quaint from the outside. It was two stories plus a covered court yard and fireplaces on every level.

We were very much looking forward to dinner, we dressed up in tuxedo shirts, bow ties, all very festive.

I just want to stop and take a moment here to add a few words about the blogs and some comments I have received. When reading this, no one should take a less than positive comment or blog entry to mean that we are not having a great time, because we are, and we have enjoyed everything we have done, even when it does not meet expectations. If I just bogged about all the good things and that everything went perfectly all the time that would just not be honest or the reality of travel. When you travel as much as we have, not everything works out the way you want it to or expect it to. Sometimes things are very disappointing and sometime they are a pleasant surprise. As I have said many times before, I blog primarily so we can remember our trips in the future. If others find the blog useful or enjoyable that is just an added bonus. So, when I make comments that Brussel was dark and damp and the people didn’t seem happy, that doesn’t mean I am sorry we went, I am simply making an observation about life around me. For example, while I compose this entry I am having a Croque Madame from room service. Is it the best I have ever had, no, is it the worst no, but it is just mediocre and not very hot. All it means is that room service room service and rarely does one get exceptional food from room service, but you would think that the Waldorf Hilton might step up their game.

I made this aside to set the stage for our tale of New Year’s Eve Dinner. Expectations were high, and we ended up fairly disappointed. The food was amazing, but some of the service and attitude was not acceptable for an establishment that was charging the prices they were, service should be exceptional and polite. So, let’s begin.

We were greeted very warmly; our coats were taken and we were shown upstairs to our table. A small room with a fireplace and 5 tables, 2 four tops the rest two tops. The guests at the other two tops were pleasant young couples all whom appeared to be from Spain, in fact I think everyone in the room other than us was from Spain. The other two tables were not as pleasant. One was a family of 5, two young girls from the second marriage and adult son from the first marriage and the father and his second wife. I of course am assuming this, but given the age differences between the daughters and the son and the father and
Smoked Salmon & Garden Herb PancakeSmoked Salmon & Garden Herb PancakeSmoked Salmon & Garden Herb Pancake

Native Lobster & Alaskan Red King Crab, Oscietra Caviar
the wife, I am pretty sure I am correct. The father has a huge attitude and clearly thought he was the King. He bossed everyone at the table around, was disrespectful to the servers and insisted on several class of the wine that game with the pairing each course. He would literally chug the first class, then demand more. Not to mention he spent 40% of his time on his freaking phone talking loudly. The staff did a good job of dealing with him, and even designed a special menu for the daughters. The thing I am still struggling with is that you knew exactly what the menu was when you booked, you had to pay in advance and they asked at time of booking your food allergies. This jerk, clearly didn’t read anything when making the reservation, as they had to completely change is meal for gluten issues. Which he didn’t tell them about until he sat down. They did not add to our enjoyment, but we ignored them the best we could even though they were right next to us.

The second table, while not as obnoxious were still pretty ego centric. They were a table for
Pan Roasted Les Landes Foie GrasPan Roasted Les Landes Foie GrasPan Roasted Les Landes Foie Gras

Roasted Quetsches & Oat Biscuit, Duck & Ruby Port Sauce
20 something trust fund babies. More money than they knew what to do with, thought they knew everything there is about wine, since they disagreed with every choice made by the sommelier, who spent hours picking the wines to go with each course, and for the record he did an excellent job. They too, spent too much time obsessed with their phones. They were also a bit loud and knocked over their wine and water getting up from the table to go smoke.

Our main server, a young man from Bordeaux and the Sommelier were both very nice and did an excellent job of describing each dish and the wine. So, this is the setting we are in for our 5 course New Year’s Eve Dinner. Beautiful surrounding, not so wonderful fellow patrons.

We started with a glass of champagne and the bread service began, really good butter and focaccia, sour dour or white bread to choose from. Unlike every other place that we have eaten in London, they just kept the bread coming. The young Frenchman, explained the menu and asked us for our entrée choice and which wine pairing we wanted. We went with the Classic
Oven Roasted & Herb Smoked Wagyu BeefOven Roasted & Herb Smoked Wagyu BeefOven Roasted & Herb Smoked Wagyu Beef

King Edward Potato, Bone Marrow & Almond Croquette, Black Truffle & Madeira Sauce
paring, the wines described just sounded more interesting than the more expensive Discovery Wine Pairing.

Our first course was Smoked Salmon & Garden Herb Pancake and on top of this was Native Lobster, Alaskan King Crab and Oscietra Caviar. The smoked salmon and pancake actually looked like bacon and it tasted divine. The lobster was just a tad over cooked but still very favorable. This was paired with The Crossing, Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand. One of the most refreshing and fruity Sauvignon Blanc’s we have ever had. It paired perfectly with the smokiness of the Salmon. The pour of wine with each course was also very generous, not like in New York where you basically get barely a good taste.

The second course was a pan roasted les lands foie gras, served on a crispy oat biscuit and dates on top with a Duck & Ruby Port sauce. It was exceptional. The dates melted your mouth and the sauce was heavenly. This was paired with a Riesling Kabinett, Joh Jos Prum, form Mosel Germany. Hands down the best Riesling we have ever tasted. It cut the sweetness of the dish perfectly.

So, at this point, aside from the two four tops, everything was going wonderfully. Jerry excused himself to go to the restroom before our entrée was served, and this was the beginning of the end of what had been a pretty fantastic night. I was pretty much in oblivion as to what was transpiring downstairs while Jerry was away from the table, although I did here is voice at one point. So here is the sordid tale. When Jerry left for the restroom, he asked one of the staff where it was located. The staff person, apparently new, pointed him down stairs (when in fact they were on the same floor as we were). When he got down stairs, one of the women who was a host, approached him and in a tone, stated “Sir, you are in the Wrong Place”, not sir may I help you, but simply a condemning accusatory tone of you should not be here you fool. Jerry did not appreciate her tone, and told her that he was told the restrooms were on this level, she didn’t make matters any better with her continued accusatory and demeaning attitude towards him. This is evidently what I was hearing
Warm Brillat-Savarin & Perigord Truffle 'Tartd Fine'Warm Brillat-Savarin & Perigord Truffle 'Tartd Fine'Warm Brillat-Savarin & Perigord Truffle 'Tartd Fine'

Toasted Smoked Catalan Almonds & Air Dried Grapes "Ok I took a bite before the picture"
at the table a floor up. The manager stepped in, and apologized and then let Jerry know where the restroom was. By the time, Jerry got back to the table, he was pretty upset and his evening was ruined, which meant my evening was also ruined. Even the servers could see that our mood had changed. It didn’t’ help that it was precisely at this moment that the aforementioned trust fund babies and annoying family began to really get on my nerves with the phones and obnoxiousness.

The entrée was served. Jerry had a Roasted Fillet of Wild Scottish Halibut, with a leek fondue and white chocolate beurre blanc. It really was cooked perfectly and tasted 3 times better than the very similar dish I had a J Sheeky. This was pared with a Pinots d’ Alsace, Marcel Deiss, from Alsace France. Yet another perfect paring. I am not sure Jerry was really enjoying the food at this point because of what had just transpired. He relayed the events to me over the entrée.

My entrée was an Oven Roasted & Herb Smoked Wagyu Beef, with a Bone Marrow & Almond Croquette and black truffle & Madeira Sauce.
Bittersweet Valrhona Chocolate & Passion Fruit TemptationBittersweet Valrhona Chocolate & Passion Fruit TemptationBittersweet Valrhona Chocolate & Passion Fruit Temptation

Praline Chantilly & Passion Fruit Sorbet
The sauce was out of this world, and the beef literally melted in your mouth. This was pared with a Chateau Loudenne, Medoc, Bordeaux France. It was the best entrée of the trip.

While I enjoyed the entrée, there was a clear change in mood at the table. After the entrée, I excused myself to the restroom. I took this opportunity to go downstairs and calmly and diplomatically express my deep displeasure with the events Jerry had described to me. The woman that was part of the incident, flat out lied about it, denied what she said and how she said it, and had a tone of who the fuck to you think you are. Her tone alone, gave her away, besides, Jerry has no reason to lie, and he is not one to exaggerate a situation. He is literally the most level headed person I know and it takes a great deal to piss him off. So, I knew she was lying, called her on it and explained that I didn’t care for her excuses of her behavior, it was simply not acceptable for a guest to be treated so rudely especially at the prices we were paying.
The StrandThe StrandThe Strand

Just after midnight
I managed to stay calm, (no the lawyer voice did not emerge) I was shaking, because I was upset, but still very calm and restrained. The manager again apologized and I went back upstairs.

I told Jerry what transpired but that didn’t really help is mood. The next course came, and the servers were doing everything they could to make the evening get back on track. It had nothing to do with them, they had been great through the entire meal.

The fourth course was a Warm Brillat-Savarin & Perigord Truffle ‘Tarte Fine’. This was a toasted smoked Catalan almond wafer served with a light cheese and dried grapes. It was interesting. (this could be the mood interfering with the food at this point). The wine was a Barons de Rothschild Champagne.

Dessert was pretty, but uninspiring, the only part of the meal that really wasn’t amazing. Dessert was Bittersweet Valrhona chocolate & Passion Fruit Temptation. Basically, a light chocolate mouse and passion fruit sorbet. We are not big passion fruit people so it was just ok. The wine pairing was a Banyuls, Les Clos De Paulilles, VDN from Roussillon France. A very dark and sweet dessert wine, better than the dessert itself.

We finished the meal at 11:30, we were going to head for the water front to watch the fireworks, but there was a delay getting the check. We passed on the offer of another glass of champagne, until it was apparent they wanted us to be there at midnight. Finally, the manager came to our table with two glasses of champagne, again apologized for his colleague’s rudeness, stating he was sure that was not her intent, but it was not acceptable in any event. He also paid for the rest of our meal, meaning we just paid for the meal not the wine. (we had already pre-paid for the food). This helped Jerry’s mood and the evening ended much better than it could have. Midnight struck we toasted and had our New Year’s kiss, which of course got us several looks. The UK is not much better with the gay thing than the US, even though marriage has been legal here longer.

We finished up our champagne and went back to the room, where we had a bottle of Moet chilling, we again toasted the New Year, went to the lobby to have pictures of us all dressed up taken. Sent various texted to friends and families and called it a night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb