Durham Tour


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County » Durham
May 15th 2013
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 54.7787, -1.55961

Joe could clearly make a profit from being a tour guide. He is a walking encyclopedia. Im sitting on the couch now, with a glass of red, watching the Europa League final, hoping Ive absorbed at least half of the things Ive learned today. It was a full day. It started in dreary weather, bitter cold, relentless rain and chilling winds. Our first destination was the centrepiece attraction of Durham, the Cathedral. Built between 1093–1133 surrounded by the Wear River, the massive structure is one to behold. Its formidable location was chosen to hold and protect the body of St Cuthbert and the skull of King Oswuld.Entry into the cathedral is an inspired experience. Alas, like other breathtaking cathedrals, no photos permitted. The architecture and craftsmanship within was most impressive. The explanations and information harvested from our scholarly guide in Joe, only served to enrichen the experience. I really appreciated the magnificence of the stained glass windows, the most brilliant Ive seen with such vivid colour and intricate design.I also appreciated the collection of Anglo Saxon and Viking relics in the library of the Cathedral, previously used as a dormitory. After warming ourselves with a coffee we head off for the Town Hall. We managed to sneak a peek at the main hall, alas, a function prevented us from exploring further. The castle was also off limits.The rest of the day we would explore varied historical perspective between the miners and upper class. The first stop was the Miners Union hall in Durham. This building showcased facinating history, art and political space associated with the ambitions of the miners union.For our last stop we went upper class at Wynyard Hall. Having gathered quite an appetite we ordered afternoon tea at this prestigous hotel. Sandwiches to start, followed by cheese scones, fruit scones with jam, and last but not least, dessert; Creme Brulee, Chocolate brownee, lemon meringue and almond slice. All of course with tea. It was a delicious meal in the library overlooking the grounds, and the toilet had a sitting room.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



18th May 2013

Nat looks so like High Society.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb