SWCP - Exmouth to Teignmouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
May 2nd 2022
Published: May 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

And we are off again! Another mini adventure, this time along the South West Coast Path. Only being a 4 day trip we decided to bnb along the way, which means no tent or cooking equipment and food, which more importantly means, a lighter backpack!

So, with just a few bits of light clothing, wet weather gear and a couple of walking safety essentials, we headed back to Plymouth rail station to catch a couple trains to Exmouth. And, quickly realised our first lesson to learn… you should always check the local ferries are running ?‍♀️ Thankfully, after learning the ferry to star cross was not running (it is usually but was randomly shut for some maintenance issue until mid-May!) we saw the Water-Taxi to Dawlish Warren was still running! And with the drizzle rain turning into heavier showers we were thankful we didn’t have to head back to the station to find another way back up and around the Estuary.

Hoping on the little boat and putting on coats and waterproof trousers, we were soon jumping off the boat into the sand at Dawlish Warren and away we went, happy to be back on a trail, even in the rain. Adjusting bags straps, and clothing, and boot laces and having a snack, we slowly got ourselves back into the swing of it, and, although it stayed cloudy and drizzly at times, it did dry up enough to remove waterproofs for most of the walk.

This part of the walk is relatively flat, following the train line along the coast with views of vast open foggy water stretching into the horizon on the left and soft craggy red cliffs dipping up and down on the right, towering over the railway line and dotted with big old houses. It also goes through Dawlish Warren, Dawlish and then into Teignmouth, all seaside towns full of chips, icecream, gift shops, crazy golf sets and, of course, tourists. Only being about 15km today, we found ourselves sat people watching in Teignmouth by 3pm, biding some time before we could check into our bnb (Cliffden Hotel - a little oldy but nice enough) by of course getting an icecream ? Lovely jubbly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb