TMW - Widecombe in the moor to Mires Pool


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
April 21st 2022
Published: April 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

A slightly restless night with rain & wind, made for a restless morning too. The rain had stopped but the wind was still strong & cold, so we packed up quick and actually got walking by 8.

Off to a speedy start (for us) the wind then dropped as we descended down to a river, and we found a sunny spot to pull over for breaky and to warm up. Which we quickly did with the climb back out of the valley (shorts now back on) and enjoyed a sunny hot day for the rest of the day, traversing across Dartmoor at a slower pace; enjoying magnificent views from up high, and beautiful rivers down low.

Holne was our half way stop and after a huge climb up from the river, we really enjoyed the tea room there (Tom&Tinas) with a pretty garden area to sit out in (boots off!), nice cold drinks, yummy food, and tasty icecream? Set up for the rest of the hike, we plodded up & down a few more hills between fields and onto moorland (meeting another TMW hiker going north) until we finally reached home territory in the manner of the puffing billy track we’ve walked several times before on previous trips.

Knowing we were on the home straight to Ivybridge, we pulled over at Mires Pool (just above actually as a father&son had already pitched up in that spot) in time to eat with sunset; no wind tonight made for a much more relaxed evening and we even heard a mini dinosaur (pheasant) screeching about for a while which was fun.

Another, shorter but still sizeable day (26.13km and 727m elevation) completed. Good Night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb