Derbyshire 34 - Cromford /Lea wood Pump house/ a pretty canal complete with ducks and railway lines


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » High Peak
July 26th 2017
Published: July 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Looking at the hands on the clock I wonder why time goes so slowly when I am bored or it goes quickly when I am enjoying myself. It is now D - Day minus 70 days and I find the butterflies are on the up again as we try to plan for the September/October trip. Suzy is in need of another clean. I find myself inside opening the first of her cupboards. It is the electric cupboard or at least that is what we affectionately call it. It is full of electrics that keep Suzy working. Electric boxes that are Suzys brain. Boxes of cables that are necessary for everyday life when we are on holiday. I look at the curtains and think that it would not go amiss to have them dry cleaned. I take off the throws and throw them in the wash. Mentally I make a list of all the things that need doing over the next few weeks.

Glenns passport has arrived back from the Passport office and there is apparently some confusion where to sign the new ones. He signed in a box below the line . There seems to be some folks who sign where he signed and others above the line. Trip Advisor has many complaints about the new system. We wait to see if we get through passport control without comment. Life is rumbling on. The Grenville Tower disaster has hit the headlines. Who knows how many are dead? Who is at fault ? The Tories and austerity or the Labour controlled councils? The housing associations or the builders who replaced the cladding on the tower block?

D Day minus 65 days. Another trip to Suzy. Second cupboard opened. This is the one that holds tea, coffee , dried milk and other essentials. The things that make life normal when we are on the road. I make a list of what we need. We exchange our Tesco vouchers for tunnel vouchers. I ring up and within minutes have booked the train. It has taken a long time to work out a time to travel. We don't want to leave early. In September it will be dark at 7. We plan to leave Saturday morning around 8. The route has not been decided. Do we travel the M1? There won't be the volume of heavy goods vehicles out on a Saturday. Do we try something different? I think different will win. We book the train for 13.50 which gives us ample time to stop off for breakfast along the way, have some dinner, pick up the Italian toll box from Harbour shipping and board the train. We will even have time to get somewhere . Sadly though we don't know where that somewhere is yet. Time is counting down and we have little idea where to go. We think a bit and then the days I work are changed . We can travel now on the Friday. Too late to do anything about the train we will have to stay somewhere en route . Perhaps Canterbury. How about going to see Hever Castle or even travel via Sussex and take in Bodiam? No doubt over the next week or so things will bottom out.

In the meantime we find ourselves going for doctors reviews, eye tests, picking up prescriptions and going to Wales for a haircut . Really it was an excuse for our furry woolly friend Sion to go and see his best friend Woolly Mammoth. He had not seen Woolly nor Jo or Zoe since October when they were working on the farm at Tocane. Since October they had been home, had worked on a caravan site in South Wales and were now working at The Plassey Caravan Park near Wrexham. We didn't have long together. Just long enough to catch up on life at the Plassey and to discuss next plans . Jo, Zoe and Woolly will be busy working until November at the Plassey so we can plan more visits. We are off to Italy . There you go - said it . Italy is the holiday destination planned for September . All we have to do now is put something together . Now that could take a few weeks to plan.

D Day minus 60 - We have fallen back into swimming , the gym , planning . Planning is taking up a lot of time. We know we will hang a right out of the terminal and head for the land of de dum , de dum , de dum. That not so gentle rhythmic tune drumming out of the concrete of Belgian roads. We accept we will probably drive through Germany. We will be passed by Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz drivers who will make Suzy feel as if she has stopped. We will probably stop somewhere near Munich. Our first proper sightseeing stop will be Trier. Our second attempt will be made to stop at the stellplatz in town and visit the Roman gate. After that well we are slightly vague . We know we will have to get to Italy and equally we appreciate that is little to do or see between Trier and Italy. As we discuss this we digress and take about Greece. Shall we go back? I think the answer to that is yes almost certainly. We start to print off itineries for motorhomes travelling round Emilia Romagna. We find interesting places. Small and off the beaten track. Just the sort of places we like . It is raining outside and we think of the sun in early Autumn in Italy. The holiday is starting to come together .

My thoughts for the day say that we should not take the surface details of life so seriously and ask me why I do it? It tells me in no certain terms that I must get drunk with the inner peace of divine realisation whatever my earthly lot .

My earthly lot today involves a lot more planning , a bit more cleaning of Suzy - only 56 days to go , another cupboard needs emptying . This time the tin cupboard . The one filled with beans , soup, rice pudding. The sort of thing you shove to the back of the cupboard for a rainy day. You feel glad of that store when everything else is eaten and the cupboard apart from these few items is bare.

We are off for a walk to High Peak Junction. Are you joining us? After a short car journey we can park up on a free car park ready for a rather short walk along the canal. I need to pay for parking £1.40 for the first hour. The machine however is broken . It is taped up and looks as if it has been vandalised rather a long time ago looking at all the rust on it . So where are we? We are still in Derbyshire . We are close to Cromford. High Peak Junction is the name now used to describe the site where the former Cromford and High Peak Railway. It marks the southern end of the High Peak Trail which meanders along the canal.

We are deep in the Derwent Valley an area of great interest to anyone interested in industrial archaeology and history. The River Derwent was the key to the area and the town of Cromford was built to service this industrial phenomenon. The town built up around the mills . Large, dark and satanic as they loom over the river . The local people would have both been happy and disappointed at the growth of the mill. It would mean work but they would have been governed and owned by the millowners from the moment they wok to the moment they went to bed. The work offered probably would have outweighed any of the disappointments they felt at the changes happening to their village. They had a place to live and money to spend. Even if it was to be spent in the local shop owned by the mill.

The town was given a large open square complete with a public house /inn, shops and housing. The houses built of the local stone are dark and gloomy. Three stories high with small windows they have no gardens to the front of the properties. Some pre-date the Arkwrights but most were built to house the mill workers. Chapels were built to service the religious needs of the mill workers and a school was opened to help educate the young. The Greyhound Hotel was built by Richard Arkwright in 1778 for the use of businessmen visiting the mills.

Our walk took us to the old railway buildings. Old sheds that once serviced the wagons that used the railway lines. A small cafe served coffee . The tracks led up to the incline. Wa walked alongside the canal. Knapweed and pink Valerian were growing alongside the pretty canal. Ducks swam between the green leaves that covered the water. Along the way were small buildings all relating to both the canal and the old railway . The line of which we were walking along. A large wharf stood in the middle of nowhere. One side the barges from down stream came to unload their cargoes which in turn were transferred to the railway wagons for the onward journey.

Over the bridge we walked passing empty derelict cottages which once housed workers on the canal or workers from the railway. Over a wall we could see Leawood Pump House . Also known as the High Peak Pump House it was built in 1849 to supply water to the Cromford Canal from the Derwent below . It stands at an height of 45 feet on the right bank of the river. Inside was a Watt Type Beam engine erected by the Graham Company of Elsecar. You will have to take my word for it - the beam length is 33 feet , the piston diameter 50 inches , the stroke of 10 feet and the engine works at 7 strokes per minute. The boilers, replaced in 1900, have a pressure of 40 p.s.i. Sadly we were not able to visit as today the building was closed. The pumphouse worked continuously from 1849 until 1944 when the canal closed. It was restored in 1979 by the Cromford Canal Society and is run periodically. Sadly today it was closed. We did not get the opportunity to see the mighty engine doing its work .

To complete our day out we finished with a meal at the Kelstedge Inn. A pork Sunday roast made a perfect end to what was a fascinating walk in an area rich in industrial history. A bonus too - it cost us nothing apart from the meal. Now that is a bonus whichever way you look at it.

Advertisement



31st July 2017

Discovering Derbyshire
We went to Derbyshire for 5 days last summer ... liked it so much, we stayed 3.5 weeks. Superb walking and cycling: rolling hills and vistas, but not too challenging. We managed to catch some well dressing. An amazing mill with lots of working machinery ... think it was National Trust. For our planning, I had a notebook with categories, such as Finances, Insurance, Country Info etc ... all a bit anal. But we did not leave anything important undone. How long will you be away for? We're heading to the Balkans and Greece from October and will probably take about a year.
1st August 2017

derbyshire
Hi I guess you mean Stainsby Mill alongside Hardwick Hall. Although there are so many round it I could be wrong. We are away almost a month as I still work part time. We have just come back from Greece and it was absolutely stunning . We spent the whole holiday in awe of the place and want to go back . Are you in motorhome or how do you travel? We are very anal in our preparation . We have to be with a 3.5 ton motorhome that wont go where we want to go because of parking. Sometimes we win and it all works out but I never regret what I have missed . There is always another opportunity around the corner. We would like to do the Balkans but we could not get insurance for the van. We tried but no-one would do the countries we needed to get to. We will try again next year and see what happens when we renew in March . I would love to get away for a year but at the moment it is not possible - just two four week holidays a year .
31st July 2017

So it's Italy!!!
You say there is nothing to see between Trier and Italy. September is the height of wine festivals in Germany, with the burning of castles and much drinking. From Trier you can follow the Moselle to the Rhine River to visit such festivals. Then you have the tough decision whether to go through Bavaria and Austria or Switzerland. We love both. Perhaps down one way and back the other. We loved the back roads and small villages.
1st August 2017

where to go
Neither of us drink much to be honest but I know what you mean about there being quite a lot to see. We thought of stopping in Munich . I have been many years ago . I have the Germany book in front of me as I write and I fancy a few places that I can see along the route. We do try to avoid crowds probably one of the reasons we have never done the beer festivals. We have been looking at coming home through Austria . I have been to Vienna, Saltzburg and the Salkammergut but that was years ago so there is much mileage there. Glenn cant walk far at the moment so walking is out and he suffers vertigo which rules out the cable cars. I wanted to do the Centrivalli Railway but we cant park Suzy up so that needs a bit more working out and the same for the cog railway up Monte Generoso. They just dont cater for 3.5 ton vehicles . I really fancy Norway and your blog got me thinking again about a trip to Scandanavia . I keep saying Oresund Bridge...............how about the Arctic Circle with a side trip to Russia ......I am working on it. I guess your walk was less spiritual in a way compared to Spain. A different sort of spirituality . Nature at its most spectacular.
1st August 2017

Yes fellow motorhomers
Yes our last was 8m+ with the bikes on the back and current a mere 7.55 with bikes in garage. Both over 4 ton. To be honest, there have not been many places outside England we've not been able to get to. Well, only in a car - the size of the van after a certain point does not seem to matter. Full time for over 2 years. Best decision ever. Can't see us ever stopping. Blog at clunegapyears.com. Nothing fancy as it's just for us, family and friends. Work is a dirty word - I was lucky enough to stop at 50 but j kept going till 67 - far too late. Happy travelling. A truly wonderful life. Kx
2nd August 2017

Fellow motorhomers
I think I may have read your blog sometime in the past the name now sounds familiar . We find we win some in the van and lose others but there are always others to find. We have done most of Europe with the exception of the Balkans . Italy and Greece being favourites. I am going to have another look at your blog - we fell in love with motorhoming reading other folks blogs . jennifer x
1st August 2017

Where to go...
I'm not much of a drinker, but do enjoy the atmosphere of castle burning with all the fireworks. As for crossing Austria I was thinking of Innsbruck and the Brenner Pass on to Lake Garda with the town of Sirmione on the southern shore. And coming back through Switzerland via the Bernese Oberland south of Interlaken. As for Norway, driving all the way the Kirkenes would be quite an accomplishment...a long way...but the Atlantic Road would be amazing.
2nd August 2017

Ideas
Hi Bob I was looking at Innsbruck last night but cannot park the van anywhere within reason to be able to get in. We might visit Tubingen on our way down - it looks interesting . Been to Sirmione and loved it . It is work in progress . Where to go - so many options

Tot: 2.196s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 44; qc: 193; dbt: 1.9318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb