Bolsover Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Derbyshire » Bolsover
September 7th 2015
Published: April 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today, I am staying local with a visit to Bolsover Castle. Awaiting for Angela to come down form Leeds and the two of us go enjoy the day together.

Bolsover Castle, designed to entertain and impress. Built by the Cavendish family on the site of a medieval castle founded in the 12th century. Sir Charles Cavendish was the son of Bess of Hardwick and William Cavendish, and was then handed down to his son, William Cavendish who had a love for horses, and was a Royalist. He also had a love for women and was quite the promiscuous one, holding functions at the castle, and finding rooms where events would happen. The audio of the on-goings in this castle were very intriguing.

On entry into the castle on the left was the horses quarters. This is where they held different events and training of the horses. Walking through this area, gave a clear idea of how much he did love horses. Along we go to the long hall. This was just a shell, but was magnificent to say the least. huge fireplaces, the floors leading up to the quarters of where the guests stayed. The kitchen area and how the food was moved up and down floors. It really was amazing.

From here we walked to the castle. How magnificent this was. Tapestries, actual Gold paint edging certain parts of the walls where they were carved wood. The marble fireplaces, and tiled floors in some rooms.

We stumbled across a room that was used for 'secret talks'"- which we heard on the audio is where he would take women for private time. Some of the bedrooms also had paintings on the ceilings which gave away what these were used for. Little secret rooms off from a bedroom as well.

This castle had many stories to tell, but the marble and tapestries, along with the gold trim and even down to the kitchen and marble benches. This place was amazing.

Overall this was an amazing day with Angela, and we had lots of laughs and fun. From here we went to the Pillar of Rock pub for some nice food before she had to depart home to Leeds.

I once again visited the local pub where I was getting to know some of the locals and have a chat and drink with them. Another wonderful day complete.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb