The Lake District


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria
October 9th 2006
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Aira Force WaterfallAira Force WaterfallAira Force Waterfall

The camera takes a heap of spray from Aira Force Waterfall. Im still standing up there on the bridge
Geo: 54.2536, -2.63181

Well my extended departure from Durham, led to me being able to get one more full daytrip with Joe. We headed out to the Lake district in North West England, roughly 2 hours drive. The Lake district is kinda like a miniature and slightly different version of the beauty of Scotland. It was a different kind of impressive, more condensed and well "pretty" i suppose, than its Scotish equivalent. There are much more lakes around (hence the name) and its a much smaller, and more lush environment than Scotland.
We set off around about 9.30 in the AM, our first stop being Castlerigg Stone Circle. This ancient circle was eeriely facinating, much in the same manner as Stonehenge. Its believed this circle of 30x1-2m stones, dates as far back as around 3000BC or even earlier.
Next up we drove to the central lakedistrict town of Keswick. Once again I was stoked, because although it had rained on the way in, the weather had totally cleared up, revealing mostly blue skies. We stayed here for a few hours, exploring the town and nearby lake.
Next we drove south towards Grasmere and Rydal Waters. Here we stopped and explored some more, taking some
Ambleside BridgeAmbleside BridgeAmbleside Bridge

Thats Ambleside bridge, one of the most popular bridges in the lake district. Probably because of the cool little house that is on top of it. Im on there too if you can pick me out.
time to climb this huge mountain! It was quite an effort, almost a mile trek.. but at constantly a 30degree angle or steeper, and far from well prepared. The views at the top were heaps rewarding though!! We also got ourselves to a nice waterfall called "Aira Force" We climbed the long walk to the top, and it was fairly impressive. The day seemed to fly by, we saw so much, and it was plenty tiring!! One full day left in Durham, then off to Amsterdam i hope!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Derwent LakeDerwent Lake
Derwent Lake

You know those fancy pencils "Derwents" that used to be so popular.. yeah well i think they come from here :)
Duck DistrictDuck District
Duck District

It couldnt be the Lake district without ducks eh?
DuskDusk
Dusk

A shot across the valley as dusk falls in the Lake District
Dusk LakeDusk Lake
Dusk Lake

Just a really cool shot across one of the lakes, just before dark :)
Hatred of SeagullsHatred of Seagulls
Hatred of Seagulls

Joe rightfully, and maturely showing his disapproval of seagulls by charging down the pier to remove them.
Joe at the SummitJoe at the Summit
Joe at the Summit

yeah Joe actually made it too, but second to me :)
Kris Aira BridgeKris Aira Bridge
Kris Aira Bridge

Me standing on the bridge that crosses over the peak of Aira Force waterfall
Kris Ashness BridgeKris Ashness Bridge
Kris Ashness Bridge

Me on Ashness Bridge, one of the most popular bridges in the Lake district. Quaintly small, and crossing a stream in a really scenic area, its not hard to see why.
Kris at CastleriggKris at Castlerigg
Kris at Castlerigg

Myself standing at Castlerigg Stone Circle in the Lake District. Mysterious type things really interest me!! N this place was no exception :)
Kris at the SummitKris at the Summit
Kris at the Summit

It took us some time, but we managed to climb to the summit of this huge mountain in the Fairfield region. It was about 30degrees or steeper for almost a mile.. so it was a fair effort. the views up top were well worth the climb!!
Kris Lake DuskKris Lake Dusk
Kris Lake Dusk

Thats myself in front of the lake just before dark.
LookoutLookout
Lookout

I think this lookout is called "Surprise Lookout" but im really not sure. anyway this is the awesome view from up there!
Lookout 2Lookout 2
Lookout 2

Another shot from Surprise Lookout.
Mountainous ViewsMountainous Views
Mountainous Views

Views on the way down from the mountain top in the Lake district.
Raby CastleRaby Castle
Raby Castle

Saw this on the way to the Lake District, near Darlington. Pretty impressive castle :)
Rockin RobinRockin Robin
Rockin Robin

Just a robin that came to greet us on our way back.
Sheep O'ClockSheep O'Clock
Sheep O'Clock

Just some sheep that stared at me for a fair time. It was amazing though!! These sheep just calmly live on the top of this mountain. they just climb there, willingly when the grass is just as greener at the bottom. Such hearty animals..
Thirlmere LakeThirlmere Lake
Thirlmere Lake

Just a really nice shot of Thirlmere Lake. The weather made this place all the more pretty to look at.
Valley ToforValley Tofor
Valley Tofor

Myself standing in a valley in the Lake district
Valley ViewValley View
Valley View

View across the valley near our climb, with a distant lake on the horizon
View at the SummitView at the Summit
View at the Summit

Just one of the really rewarding views after our long climb! Every time we seemed to reach the peak, another stretch just appeared. was satisfying to finally make it!


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb