Where Moses Trod ...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
August 2nd 2012
Published: August 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up around feeling a little chilled only to discover that, following last night's heavy rain, water was beginning to leak into the room. Made a note to book elsewhere! Rather apt though as today I'd be following in the steps of Moses, even to the point of walking through bulrushes!

After breakfast, began the long drag up to Scarth Gap, rain resulting in me putting on and taking off waterproofs throughout the climb.

An hour and twenty minutes later, the cairn was in sight ... and a quick drink of water and, more importantly, a mobile signal. Once new accommodation was confirmed, I headed for the summit of Haystacks.

Some scrambling was required to reach the summit, but with the weather improving, it was proving to be lovely walk. Next came Innominate Tarn and Blackbeck Tarn, picking my way through the boulders and heather just coming into flower. The ridge walk towards Green Crag afforded stunning views across Buttermere.

Next on the list was Great Round How, though getting there proved very wet underfoot. By this time, the sun was beginning to force its way through the cloud, though it was making little headway in drying the water as I walked through bog towards the corner of the Brandreth West fence before beginning the climb up to the Brandreth's summit, and crossing the smuggler's route - Moses Trod. Once there, the wind was blowing very cold, so lunch taken in the lee of the summit.

Great Gable loomed over my traverse Grey Knotts, a rather large pool blocking my way and resulting in a hop, skip and jump over a number of irregularly spaced stones. As the sun broke through, I arrived at the summit of Grey Knotts.

The next target was hidden, so, walking on a bearing, I descended from Grey Knotts until the ruins of the Drum House became visible, before walking through the bog to the ruins. Finally, there was the long and hot walk down the miners' track to Gatesgarth, arriving back in sunshine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb