High Spy, Cat Bells ... and Maiden Moor


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Lake District
August 3rd 2012
Published: August 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a very nice breakfast, set off in the early morning sun to Honister Hause, where the walk towards the summit of Dale Head would begin.

It's a relatively steep walk, made more difficult by the fact that the summit cannot be seen until one is almost at the summit. Just to compound things, the path for which I was looking was to be found approximately 25 minutes after setting off, was very faint and was marked by a small cairn, not really visible from the path.

Surprisingly, I found the path 24 minutes after setting off and thus stopped the climb and instead headed off-piste towards Dale Head Tarn. The route was very wet underfoot and over-ankle but once at the tarn, a dry(er) patch was found. It was so pleasant to be in such a quiet and beautiful place with not a soul around - just the odd squeak of a kestrel.

Crossing the little river, I began the seemingly daunting climb up High Spy. The sun had by now come out and it was necessary to remove (yet again) my jumper in order to avoid overheating. Once on the summit, the views across towards Great Gable and Hindscarth were amazing, with Great Gable sitting like a black coal on the near horizon.

The next part of the trip was more tedious as the summit of Maiden Moor is somewhat flat. However, a short diversion to Blea Crag afforded amazing views over Derwent where, below, sailing boats appeared like models on a boating lake.

Once at the end, it was an easy climb down to Hause Gate where the climb up to Cat Bells (and lunch) could begin. At the summit, the views across Derwent were stunning - such an amazing spot to enjoy a meal!

Back down to Hause Gate and then onto the steps down towards Grange. Here, in the afternoon sun, a welcome ice-cream was willingly consumed.

Finally, the long walk back to the car could begin, although after Gowder Dub, there was a climb up the track below Castle Crag. Before too long, the old toll road up Honister Pass also came into view. Then the car. Then a shower, meal and bed.

What a day! What a lucky person I am!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Castle CragCastle Crag
Castle Crag

My favourite view in The Lakes


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb