HAPPY CUP OF TEA IN GLENRIDDING - ULLSWATER LAKE, LAKE DISTRICT.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Glenridding
May 24th 2017
Published: May 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

ULLSWATER LAKE
This is the 2nd biggest lake in Lake district after Windermere. It is surrounded by small hills all around which on a good sunny day will look like the enchanted lands of haven. So beautiful with varying colors of vegetation ranging from bluish, pinkish, reddish brown and greens over the hills. It was kind of mesmerizing to gaze at them from the lake shore or from the steam boats that ply the lake.
I was so enthralled by the beauty that I went back again and again for 3 days - first day I took the sleepy-steamers that go from Pooley bridge to the other end Glenridding. The next day I went walking around the lake and the third time I took an electric mountain-bike to bike around the lake ! I was simply mesmerized by the serene-ambience and the sumptous-beauty of Lake district at its best. Windermere-lake will amaze you by it size but Ullswater will enthrall you by its beauty and serenity and make you yearn to go again and again.

The steamers are slow and rather sluggish but beautiful looking boats with red mast and green side-panles. They saunter along the lake between Pooleybridge to Glenridding on the other end. Takes an hour to cross the lake. People just hung about on the deck or in the hull where you have more sheltered seats and glass windows to peer through. Some of them had their ever so obedient and well behaved dogs sleeping besides them.

Glenridding is a beautiful little village where one can get down and have some walk-abouts and a cup of tea or should I say HAPPY CUP OF TEA. In fact one of the Bestwestern hotels have a lovely caffe where they have plaque which says "YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS but YOU CAN BUY TEA and THATS KIND OF THE SAME THING" - what a delightful quote. And it was true, I was really happy after that warm-cup of heart-warming tea in Glenridding. So I kept returning to the same caffe three times and had cups of same happy-tea that never failed to cheer me up.

After two days I went around Ullswater again by Electric-bike cycling. What a lovely and beautiful place to cycle, it was such a delightful scenaries all around with lazy lake besides slashing up gentle waves on the shores. It was a sunny day and lots of families and children were enjoying the day out. Took some sumptuous photos by my smart phones. Missed my proper camera for not having it with me. Met some happy strangers who were equally beguiled by the beauty of Ullswater lake and also some local farmers who looked rather bemused by the spellbound city-slickers just visiting for few days. I am not sure of what all those ubiquitous sheep and cute little-lambs on the never-ending green meadows made of all these mesmerized-strangers starring at them as if they have never seen a live sheep having only seen them on the dinner plate as meat.

Lake district that enthralled Mr.Wainwright for a life time, is rugged, rustic and unique with so many beautiful lakes and Ullswater-lake is the jewel of all those enchanted lakes.

I just want to return for some more jaunts and am sure I will soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb