Day 3- St. Bees- Ennerdale Bridge (10 miles)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cumbria » Ennerdale Bridge
July 28th 2015
Published: July 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we wore rain pants and gaiters and we're all much drier at the end of the day. We did actually see the sun for about 5 minutes in the early afternoon! Despite the clouds and occasional rain, it was a much better weather day today than yesterday....no heavy, steady rain and there was less mist and fog and we were able to enjoy some great views from the top of our first fell (hill) in the Lake District.

We had our last view of the Irish Sea from the top Dent Hill, which was a steady, fairly steep climb but over easy terrain. Our descent down the other side was very steep....a challenging black diamond ski slope! Again, the terrain wasn't too difficult but we were all glad that it wasn't raining because it would have been very slippery in spots. I still managed to be the first to slip on a disgusting muddy/animal waste patch.....sliding actually might have been fun except for realizing what I was sliding in!

The remainder of the day was a lovely walk along a stream, crossing back and forth several times and eventually ending up in the very small town of Ennerdale Bridge. We were told by a local that Bill Clinton proposed to Hillary on the shore of Lake Ennerdale where we will start our walk tomorrow. I googled it and he was telling the truth!

Navigating is definitely a challenge. We have taken a few wrong paths but have recovered quickly enough that we haven't added any significant distance. We might have gotten farther off the track if we hadn't ended up hiking with a 20 year old German girl with a GPS. She actually asked us if she could walk with us when she arrived at Dent Hill. She is doing the Coast to Coast by herself, carrying a 50 lb. pack with all her food, equipment for 14 days. I think she is already lonely since she was more than happy to spend the day with us and probably would have slept on the floor of one of our rooms if we had asked! She had spent last night in a barn in St.Bees for backpackers and was the only one there.

We have been surprised at how few people we have encountered so far doing the C2C. Today we only saw one couple from Holland
Heading downHeading downHeading down

Note the huge backpack!
and our German friend. There are a few more staying at our inn tonight, but there certainly have not been an abundance of people so far. We hope there will be more people out tomorrow when we have a 14.5 mile day with a lot of hills. We definitely don't want to get lost tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb