Helford River


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
July 31st 2014
Published: September 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

31st July



Penzance to Helford River. Left Penzance at 0815 when the lock was open and had the tide with us for quite some time, good as we only had light winds. Then as we turned around the bottom of Lizard point...it all turned against us. We were in very choppy water where the two currents met I guess and sometimes we were only doing 1.5kts. The further round the point we got, the less the current was against us. Finally arrived in Helford River about 4pm. Anchored up, so no mooring fees. Very lovely river, didn't go ashore, but stayed on board to ensure anchor was set properly. A big old sailing boat came in – South Star and two guys from that came across in their dinghy to say hi. We had been watching them as one guy was diving and the two girls were fishing off the side, so we figure they were trying to catch their dinner. Luke and Bryony and Matt and Emma. Matt had been diving for mussels and had got a few. They invited us for dinner, but we'd already eaten, so we invited them for drinks....but as it turned out they came over at 10pm....after we'd already gone to bed!!!





1st August



Today is raining. It was forecast, so we were prepared for it and are anchored up safely in Helford Creek. This morning after a (now common) lie in, we had a late breakfast and then a few minor jobs on board before preparing Zodi (who hasn't been used for the whole 2 weeks were at Penzance) and went to explore the little township of Helford. Of course, as soon as we got there it started raining heavier, so we got slightly damp as we trudged through the very small village . We found a small shop to get milk and then hid in a pub and had a hot chocolate till the worst of the rain was over. On the way back we stopped in the Helford sailing club which has a beautiful and warm closed in verandah overlooking the river. We can come back for a shower for a pound each if we want and apparently there's a washing machine, but I've just done our washing so may not need it this time. The rain settled in, so we came back to boat and relaxed reading our Kindle's for a few hours. Later we hope to Zodi up the creek to a little pub we've been told about (well actually a yacht club, so hopefully we'll find it).



2nd August



found the pub last night – not so cheap as we were told, but very small and cosy. After that we went for drinks at the sailing club. Today we went for a Zodi up the river -way up the end till we ran out of water. We went up Frenchman's Creek. Daphne DeMaurier has written a book with the same title and is about a pirate hiding his lugger up there. We've read it of course as the pilot says you must before you get here. Yesterday South Star went out and we thought they'd gone, but later that night they returned – turns out they were going to move on, but conditions weren't the best and their mast was moving a bit so they returned. We invited them for sundowners. They all came aboard, then went to collect one of their friends from the shore....then more friends of theirs sailed in, so they too came aboard. Finally at 2000 it was decided that Matt would cook up the mussels he'd collected that day and we were all invited back to their boat for Thai mussel curry. It was an excellent feed, great company and a very late night. They are heading back to falmouth tomorrow so we will probably catch up with them again when we go there on Monday. Got some good free anchorages from them. Great to meet some locals who know where to go and who are so friendly!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb