As I was going to St.Ives,


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
June 10th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Fistral BeachFistral BeachFistral Beach

Mussels, yum!
I met a man with seven wives, Each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats, each cat had seven kits. Kittens, cats, sacks, and wives. How many were going to St.Ives?

After the best sleep the night before in Exeter at a really cute B&B (with hot tub to boot!), we journeyed to pretty much the end of England. In the morning, we stopped for some white sands at Fistral Beach, where some consider to be the best surfing in Europe. There were more people in the water than on the beach despite the Atlantic cold, particularly for that hour in the morning. Shortly after not being able to feel my legs, I wandered through the town, ate some pastis-Cornish pastry filled with meat and potatoes, and joined some socceroos in the Walkabout to watch a bit of England’s first World Cup match before hitting the road again to St.Ives for a BBQ on the beach. Watched the sun go down with a few Old English ciders. This part of England has glorious sunsets and we even had heaps of dolphins join us. We stayed overnight with the pirates of Penzance, Penzance being the very model of an ancient English pirate town. Experienced the fun and love at a local bar called the Barn soaking up the typical old school disco music.

The next morning, on next to no sleep thanks to one of my air deprived bunk mate, we made loads of stops on our way back to London, including St.Michael’s Mount where because of the low tide we were able to reach its church and castle by strolling along the lump, seaweed strewn beachway. Ate some Cornish ice cream that was sweet enough to make my teeth rot. Besides the pastis, Cornwall is known for its clotted cream; this experience is probably the first time I’ve made the claim that something is “too sweet” even for my taste. Visited the stunning penwith peninsula and walked along the coast, before making it back to London late Sunday night where for the next few days I’ve been wiped by London’s heat.

Hope all is well with everybody at home. Crossing my fingers for the Oilers! Exciting things always happen when I leave...



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Penwith peninsulaPenwith peninsula
Penwith peninsula

Would love to come back and camp somewhere along the mile long beach. Isn’t it gorgeous? Particularly on a 33 degree day.
Cliff top amphitheatre  Cliff top amphitheatre
Cliff top amphitheatre

Can you imagine seeing a play here at night with dolphins in the background?
South West Coastal PathSouth West Coastal Path
South West Coastal Path

Overall it was great seeing this version of England, rugged landscape of daunting cliffs that cradle sandy beaches.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb