Land's End


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall
April 27th 2005
Published: April 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

St. Michael’s MountSt. Michael’s MountSt. Michael’s Mount

St. Michael’s Mount. Originally built as a Benedictine monastery some 800 years ago. There is a causeway to it that is underwater at high tide.
After a restful night’s sleep, I awoke to a bright blue sky. Things were looking up! I headed out west along the top of the boot tip that is the southwestern peninsula and through the Exmoor National Park. Thatched roof houses dotted the countryside. Many English backroads are lined with tall hedges. This makes it impossible to see what’s around the bend…a tractor hauling hay? or an oncoming 18 wheeler? Pick your line carefully and go for it.

It was turning in to a cracking (Brit lingo) day! I continued progressing to the southwest. After the town of Bude, the coastline becomes more dramatic. Unfortunately, the road stays well inland making views of the coast fleeting at best. I guess the Romans or whoever built them didn’t count on tourism, huh?

By late afternoon I had entered Cornwall and reached the colorful fishing port of St. Ives. Before the advent of the railroad in the nineteenth century, Cornwall was the most isolated region in England. People here lived a hard existence.

I finally reached Land’s End right around 5 P.M. I’ve always had a strong attraction to places like this. Those “end of the world” type places. Going
The ExmoorThe ExmoorThe Exmoor

Thatched roof homes in the Exmoor.
as far as one can go on land makes you all introspective and mushy inside making you look back on where you’ve been and where you will go from here. Unfortunately, someone put up a kitschy theme park right on the tip but, it didn’t blemish the view too much, but I didn't feel the need to take a picture. As it was late and I didn’t have a hotel room yet, I didn’t stick around to watch the sunset.

I got lucky and found a nice friendly hotel in Marazion. Right off the coast was the spectacular St. Michael’s Mount. Originally built as a Benedictine monastery some 800 years ago. There is a causeway to it that is underwater at high tide.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Toll RoadToll Road
Toll Road

I encountered a “toll road”. The toll collector must have been off checking on his sheep so, he just put up a sign.
Somerset CoastSomerset Coast
Somerset Coast

Approaching the coastal village of Lynton on the Somerset coast.
Cornish CoastCornish Coast
Cornish Coast

Somewhere near Boscastle
St. IvesSt. Ives
St. Ives

Overlooking the town of St. Ives.
St. JustSt. Just
St. Just

Near Land's End. The village of St. Just.
Heading EastHeading East
Heading East

Heading east along the south coast of Cornwall.


Tot: 0.539s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.3837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb