A good reunion


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Falmouth
September 13th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.156, -5.07108

Our good friend Mel kindly came with us to Southampton so that he could drive our car back. We boarded the Silver Whisper and were just in time for a late lunch. It took ages to unpack as we have brought more luggage than we would normally because the weather is going to be so variable. Prior to sailing we had the inevitable safety procedure, donning our life belts and going to the muster station. At least Silversea do this seriously unlike some other cruise firms we could mention!

We finally got to meet our butler- Chan- and got the champagne delivered. We had expected a bottle in our suite but no- quell horreur-. However all was quickly corrected. We had a quick rendezvous on the pool deck for sail away and met a few nice people as always. Met more people in the bar later and then at dinner- cannot keep up with all the names.

The following morning we were docked in Falmouth and had not even felt that the ship had moved and stopped at any time. The weather was cloudy and drizzly but we walked into town and visited the Falmouth Art Gallery, which like a lot of these small provincial galleries contains some little gems- a Picasso, Gainsborough, Ben Nicholson, Singer Sergeant to name but a few. There was also an exhibition by local artists. Falmouth is a very pleasant town with narrow streets, a Cornish pasty shop on every corner,lots of small boats in the marina and lots of old pubs. We met our friends Nigel and Nikko in the Chainlocker Pub (established 1660) and swapped many a few stories over a few pints. They had just sailed into Falmouth on their yacht which we toured later. Unfortunately we could not spend much longer with them as we were sailing off early afternoon and they had to sail round the coast to a river mooring- but we all had a few good laughs..

Now we have to gear ourselves up for the Trivia quiz and a Formal night later. It is all go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

MM
M

High St Falmouth


13th September 2013

You look as though some one has nicked your pint! Have a good trip.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb