Day 57 - where 'Hollyoaks' is filmed - *yawn*


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire
July 11th 2013
Published: July 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 57 - Chester and turn around.


Not the best pcture sadly....Not the best pcture sadly....Not the best pcture sadly....

... worth enlarging it if possible.
5 locks, 291 in total.



Yesterday's photos are now uploaded.



We spent much of the day looking round Chester and then turned round and headed back to Waverton at 4pm, when it was a little cooler (but not much!)







My first impressions yesterday were wrong – having explored more, it really is a lovely place and much work has been done further along the canal, even if the section near us is ropey. You can have looks or you can have proximity to the historic centre – not both.







It is often quicker to walk somewhere via the city wall as the streets are laid out on a grid pattern, as designed by the Romans when they had a fort here (Deva) – it's like an inner ring road for pedestrians! We walked further along the canal to the basin, at the junction of the Wirral Arm (to Ellesmere Port) and the Dee Arm, which used to link the canal to the R. Dee but is now unnavigable. This area is really starting to look good and will be quite an attraction for tourists. Chester was a port for ocean-going vessels until the Dee gradually silted up - the canal then made a link with the port of Liverpool.







I still wasn't able to see inside the cathedral and am a little upset about this. Today there was a school concert and then a lunchtime organ recital. I'll just have to add it to my list of things to see 'in the future' – the list is getting quite long now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

This is a Scout hut....This is a Scout hut....
This is a Scout hut....

....shaped like a Noah's Ark and rather beautiful - more windows at the right-hand end. We reckon they sold some land to developers to finance this - good thinking.
Our mooring - Our mooring -
Our mooring -

- opposite the back of the old cinema.


Bishop Lloyd's house I think.Bishop Lloyd's house I think.
Bishop Lloyd's house I think.

Biblical carvings and inscriptions.
The amphitheatre.The amphitheatre.
The amphitheatre.

Only the tip of the ovalhas been excavated as the rest is under a large listed Georgian house. There is a shrine to Nemesis in the little cutout.
Parish Church of John the Baptist.Parish Church of John the Baptist.
Parish Church of John the Baptist.

This was a lovely church - the original cathedral for the city. The roof is being repaired/replaced at present so I could only view from the doorway area - I'm not too lucky with religious buildings at the moment.
A 13th century mural of John the BaptistA 13th century mural of John the Baptist
A 13th century mural of John the Baptist

Note the lean of the column - it really is like that.
Norman columns and arches.....Norman columns and arches.....
Norman columns and arches.....

...above which are transitional arches and finally (obscured by the covers) English Gothic arches.




Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb