The Battle of Nantwich


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cheshire » Nantwich
January 26th 2008
Published: January 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A little closer to home this time! Having lived in this historic village for over 5 years, the weather was good enough this year for me to wander into town and join in the Holly Holy Day.

Nantwich was the site of a crucial battle in the English Civil War when, in 1644, the Royalists lay siege to Parliamentarian Nantwich. By the end of 1643, Cheshire was in the hands of the Royalists with the exception of Nantwich, which was a Parliamentarian Garrison.

For six weeks, the village was under siege until Sir Thomas Fairfax and his army of 5000 Parliamentarians arrived on the scene. Finally, on the 25th January 1644, a battle lasting for two hours culminated in the capture of the Royalist baggage train together with several senior Royalist officers and the siege was lifted.

Fairfax's success led him to command the New Model Army just over a year later but in celebration of the lifting of the siege, the locals wore sprigs of holly in the hats and clothing. To this day, the celebrations continue with the addition of a wreath laying ceremony and a re-enactment of the battle by the Sealed Knot.

The 2008 event began with a tour of the Battlefield proper. An hour or so later, a captive was marched to the pillory in the middle of the village and pelted with cabbages. After a lunch break, several hundred members of the Sealed Knot marched from their billet at Malbank School down Welsh Row to the The Square where, following prayers by the Rector and words from the Mayor, a wreath was laid on the War Memorial and a 4 gun salute given. After a demonstration of 1640's military tactics, all made their way to Mill Island where the battle was re-enacted.

The weather this year was dry, crisp but cloudy and windy. However, a good time was certainly had by all - and it all happened in my village!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb