Thorney Abbey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
June 2nd 2007
Published: June 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Warm and sunny - all day !

Exploring the area between Peterborough and Wisbech / March - an area that I would call Huntingdonshire but since the (a ?) govt reorg it is now part of Cambridgeshire. Nothing new to report about the Fens ….. still flat and intensively farmed. Had a glimpse of a short-eared owl but sadly too far away for a decent phot. However did at least achieve a good shot of a heron in flight - one more for the collection.

Highlight was probably Thorney - a delightful village mostly built in the eighteenth / nineteenth century with the distinctive local yellow brick. A sign on the approach indicated that the by-pass had been completed three months early - judging by the peaceful nature of the village that is a definite plus. The parish church known as Thorney Abbey (as it originated as such) is v interesting despite nineteenth century additions. The nave, clerestory and west front (the latter unusual for a PC) dating from the early Norman period exhibit the beautifully simple clear lines of that style.

Delightful lady who I assume was a church warden engaged me in conversation and made me a cup of tea and toasted bun - much appreciated. I should to add that this on offer to all visitors … £1 and worth every penny. An enjoyable moment …..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb