Narrow Boats and Hammer Beams


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Warm and sunny - all day !

Exploring the extreme north of the county between March and the border with the Lincolnshire.

March, a market town in the heart of the Fens, has an attractive waterside with narrow boats working their way along the River Nene. With some imagination you could no doubt find your way along the river to the open sea.

The highlight of the day was undoubtedly the Parish Church of St Wendreda again in March. This has much of architectural interest but above all it has perhaps the finest hammer beam roof in the British Isles, perhaps the world. Dating from the sixteenth century this is adorned with some of the most beautifully carved angels.

That aside the Fenland landscape was much as described on previous days although in the far north bordering Lincolnshire the scenery is perhaps more attractive with a higher density of trees and thick hedges. In this area Tydd St Giles is worth a visit if only to inspect the rather strange church where a Norman style tower stands 50m to one side of the main body of the church almost as if a giant has moved the tower from its original position.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb