Ramsey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire
June 3rd 2007
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Sunday - warm and sunny for the whole day.

Sunday I explored the area around Ramsey which is in what used to be the County of Huntingdonshire but courtesy of previously mentioned govt reorg has been moved into Cambridgeshire !!! Do you not just love politicians ? Anyway be that as it may Ramsey is an attractive small town based around an old abbey. Unfortunately the ruins are in the grounds of a school and only open on occasional days - which today was not. Attempted to visit the parish church but it was locked - SUNDAY SUNDAY !!!!!! This locking of churches really irritates me - have I mentioned that before. Anyway an attractive town and well worth a visit.

Lunch in Holme Fen which is one of many Nature Reserves in the area. The photograph shows a pole that was inserted into the ground in 1852 when Whittlesey Mere was drained. The idea was to measure the rate at which the land subsided as a result of the drainage and subsequent drying out of the area. In 1852 the top of this 13 foot pole was level with the surface so you can see how far the area has subsided in that time.

Final part of the day’s exploration saw in the area around the villages of Upwood and Wistow where the rolling landscape was a pleasing contrast to the flat Fens.

Returned to base and said my farewells to Heather who was off to her mother’s - Rob could find me no such excuse and so coked me a fine meal washed down with Rioja. I shall this companionship.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb