Guy Fawkes/ Peterborough


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Peterborough
November 7th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Colin and I had a grrreat weekend! It was Guy Fawkes weekend, which we found out just on Wednesday past when we heard all these fireworks going off. And when I asked what is Guy Fawkes weekend about, the standard response is: Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the parliament like hundreds of years ago but was caught before he could and then was hanged for it.
Apparently this is a good reason to have festivities every year and I won't complain because it was fun. So just down the street from where we live is Midsummer Common, a big park. Friday night they had an amazing firework show...it was super long and big and high and really cool. (Colin is adament that it wasn't as good as Canada Day in Ottawa this last year however.) They also light this huge bonfire...it was like 50 feet high. (I have a poor judge of distance so if that is seriously too high then take a few feet off.) There was a fair too with rides and games etc. It was rainy and cold Friday night and the announcer was kind enough to say/warn, "Thank you all for coming tonight and be careful as the ground is rather squidy." Some British words are quite funny. For example, with Christmas coming I have seen so many signs refering to Prezzies.

Then Saturday we decided to take the train to Peterborough. The cathedral there packs some really great history. I was most excited to see Queen Katharine of Aragon's tomb. She was Henry VIII's first wife. She lived such a fascinating life as she was betrolthed to Henry's brother Arthur, since she was 3 years old and grew up to become the Queen of England. Then, after only being married a short time and falling in love, Arthur died and she was left in England with nothing. Henry's father, Henry VII, tried to marry her but her parents wouldn't allow it and proposed she marry Henry VIII. He begrudging agreed but to punish her made her wait many years with little money in a isolated castle. Once he died she married Henry and, being a few years older and wiser, she guided Henry as King and they feel in love. But being the crazy King he was, very impressionable and easily swayed, after 20 years of marriage Anne Boelyn came along and caused big disturbances of which caused her own beheading one day. But Katharine was moved to another castle to live out the rest of her days and eventually died. Henry did not want a big ceremony for her and left her to be buried in the closest cathedral which was Peterborough.

Also at this cathedral is where Mary Queen of Scots was buried for a short time. Her story is also quite fascinating as she had rights to the throne of England and Scotland but found herself exciled and pushed around until finally being beheaded. She was buried in Peterborough Cathedral but was moved by her son as he was King of Scotland. I believe she was moved to Westminster Abbey in London...but I am not totally clear on her whole story yet.

After the cathedral we found a little museum that had a few neat things to see. Then we went to dinner at The Brewery Tap. It is a restaurant that brews its own beer and specializes in Thai food...interesting combo but it works. The food was really really good, seemed authentic to us...however neither of us has been to Thailand so we think it was authentic.

Then on Sunday we just hung out and took it easy.

All of the above = Great Weekend. 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Queen Katharine's FlagQueen Katharine's Flag
Queen Katharine's Flag

The pomegranate was her chosen symbol which is the ironically the symbol of fertility. She had 7 pregnancies with on one surviving girl.
Painted CeilingPainted Ceiling
Painted Ceiling

We were told that this was a rare ceiling and one of a kind.


9th November 2010

hi sweetie
long time no hear maybe my emails dont get through to you.
10th November 2010

Catherine of Aragon
Hi Jen: I am so...jealous! I would love to be seeing all this history. Have you read the Constant Princess yet? It is all about Catherine. Did you know that the daughter that Henry and Catherine produced becomes Bloody Mary? There is a son that holds the throne for a short while prior to her but he dies shortly after his father leaving the throne to Catherine. When she dies her step sister Elizabeth I becomes queen. Her Mom was Anne Boelyn. That's your history lesson for the day. Keep sending the great photos and I love the historical monologue. Aunt Sandie
10th November 2010

You beat me to a Guy Fawkes event!!
Jenn, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take pics in the Cathedrals... although I do particularly like the one of you taking pics in the cathedral..HA! :)

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb