Cambridge and the American Cemetery


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
July 13th 2014
Published: October 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We love visiting our friends in Cambridge. Somehow we always seem to discover great places when we go there. This time was no exception.

First there was a great walk in the Cambridgeshire countryside near their home in Cambourne. Lakes lined with fishermen, windmills, cornfields - it had it all. And to top it off, the sun was shining and it was a glorious day.

We also went into the city of Cambridge for another wander around. It was very busy with tourists from all over the world taking a look at one of the most famous seats of learning that the UK has to offer. It's always nice to see people having a go at punting too, but we remember from last time just what hard work it was! We were quite surprised to see a big red London bus being used for a wedding. What great pictures that must make in your family album.

Finally, we decided to pay our respects at the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial. These places are hard to visit from an emotional point of view, but visiting is always worthwhile. The visitors centre is especially good with some innovative ways of displaying information. Watching a film where black and white pictures of those killed in action are projected onto their gravestones whilst you listen to their story is a particularly moving experience. Inside the chapel have a good look at the mosaics which tell some of the story of World War II.

Thanks so much to James and Agnieszka for making us feel welcome in your home. We will be back, as you well know!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb