Down Dartmoor Way


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Dartmoor
July 10th 2014
Published: October 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Having family literally all over the UK is both a blessing and a curse. Of course, it's always a blessing to have loved ones in whichever part of the country you may be visiting, but it's a damned curse trying to fit everyone in to one visit! We certainly do some miles and we keep everyone more or less happy!!

The ferry to Plymouth takes us conveniently to Devon where we always enjoy a few days in the village of Thorverton, lost in the middle of a triangle joining Exeter, Tiverton and Crediton. It's such a beautiful part of the country, and is just on the doorstep of a place we just never seemed to have made it to - Dartmoor.

We put that right this year and set out one morning hoping for a sunny day. Naturally we were denied that much of our trip. Still, we enjoyed the spectacular scenery and getting up close to the wildlife. You have to be so careful driving on the roads because you never know what may wander out in front of you in an instant.

We parked up at one stage and did a walk across the moor to the enchanted Wistmans Wood. These are believed to date back to prehistoric times and buried deep within are some magical stones which, of course, we never did manage to find! We got back to the car before it started to get dark though, not that we were afraid at all of meeting the Devil's fire-snorting Yeth hounds which mythology suggests reside there!!

Nearby we parked up at Two Bridges. The hotel there looks stunning. You'll never guess what it's called - The Two Bridges Hotel. What an imaginative name. It's in a picturesque spot next to, would you believe, two bridges! Now how's this for innovative thinking - one is called The Old Bridge, and the other is called, yes, The New Bridge. How unusual!!! The views of the river and the bridges are simply stunning though and it's well worth stopping for a while.

We then headed back to the village before the traffic got too bad. That's something we always seem to have to think about in England.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb