Walking in Cambridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cambridgeshire » Cambridge
January 13th 2005
Published: May 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Senate HouseSenate HouseSenate House

This is the Senate House of Cambridge University. I think it has offices and things, but this is where everyone graduates from!
Second day here was fairly eventful.

We had a two hour walking tour of Cambridge. It was interesting, but I wouldn't have said two hours worth of interesting, especially in the unpredicted wind that came up. We did get to see several of the Cambridge University colleges and some of the historic churches - including one that was built in 10xx and is the oldest building in Cambridge. The history of the colleges was initially very interesting, but got old after about the third one. There are only so many crests you can look at and still be fascinated.

We were done by a little before noon, and we were turned loose for lunch and the rest of the day.

I went to a pub (the Sir Issac Newton, a football (soccer) oriented pub) for lunch with some of the girls in my group. I had a ham baguette, which was fantastic. They toasted the bread and spread garlic butter on it before the ham. And the ham was real as opposed to the sliced stuff we have here.

I went out looking for a grocery store, but had bad directions from Hume... and ended up walking
Center of CambridgeCenter of CambridgeCenter of Cambridge

The disk on the building is the centre of Cambridge. The building is Great St. Mary's Church, which is part of the university.
for ages and not finding the Aldi (yes, the Aldi). I did find some semi-decent food at the Texaco station that's really close here - including Diet Lemon Coke, which I'm strangely enthralled with.

We had our academic orientation tonight. The history portion about the town of Cambridge was interesting. He also had a lot of things to say about where to travel and what to see.

Tonight: possibly a movie here at the house and bed.

Tomorrow: leaving at 9:30 for London! 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

My HouseMy House
My House

This is the door we go in and out of at my house. It's inside a little courtyard which we share with some seminary students.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb