Village summer


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Buckinghamshire » Chesham
August 9th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The weather was beautiful today. Warm and still. There we clouds but they barely interrupted the the sun. We went out to Burnham Beeches-- not to be confused with Birham wood that comes to you. There we walked through the green light and saw old oak trees-- one of them is 800 years old and was so venerable that it had to have a fence around and a notice telling visitors not to feed it.
We found out about pollarding but any attempt to describe what it is will send you into a coma.
We then drove to Cookham which is on the Thames but a very different Thames to the one you find in London. The colour is the same --- bad coffee-- but it has rowboats and barges and sailing boats instead of chip packets and condoms and needles.
We had to go to a pub and we did. I had to have a pint-- and I did. We also had a pub meal. Henry and I created history by kicking a Framantle Docker labelled footy in front of the pub for the first time ever.

So Henry -- what did you make of the day's play?
First of all the football (by that I mean AFL i haven't turned into a pom yet) we played was similar to the dockers if you want to imagine that as good or bad. The people watching us thought we were mad as they didn't have a clue what we were doing -- which is pretty much like the dockers. As for the pub meal it was plated beautifully and tasted impeccable (I can't help it i'm wearing a cravat). I've noticed some different things between England and Australia. First of all we're much better at cricket .
So far in england i've seen five english villages (not including london) and all of the villages have been exactly like the stereotype with little old english houses with window boxes filled with little old flowers in them. They also have little old shops -- so pretty much everything is little and old.

end of this one so cya next time

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb