So I'll let you know about Europe finally...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Bristol County » Bristol
October 27th 2012
Published: October 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woooaaahhhhhh.

A blog.

Haven't done this in a while.

Should be an indiction of what a whirlwind the last months have been. I have now been in Bristol for precisely four weeks. From where we left off, Contiki;

Night before - August 23rd; stayed in a place up the road from the Contiki departure point after leaving a considerable amount of my belongings behind in my Aunt and Uncle's garage in Watford. Attended the kick off party and met a handful of people whose names I couldn't recall but who I was told would, in 21 days time, be like best friends who I would never want to part with.

Day one; Here began the first of many bright and early starts to begin the coach trip to Paris. We stayed in the Ibis hotel in a less classy part of town where gypsys ruled. After a stop for champagne and snails, we did a site seeing tour and of course went to the Eiffel Tower. Climbed all 1665 steps to the top and, not to get all corny, but this truly was unforgettable. Still a favourite night.

Day two; Paris by day. Spent some time in the Louvre, walked the Champs Elysse, climbed the Arc de Triomphe after lunch at a French restaurant. This preceeded more photo ops at Notre Dame Cathedral. Dinner was spent in Montmarte after which we wondered down to the Moulin Rouge for some snaps and then to our cabaret show. Then on to Sully's where we got well and truly sullied.

Days three and four; Beaujelais. Wine. "P" themed party. The Cave aka the Rape Dungeon. Picnic. Hiking. Scenery. Followed a dog for directions. Chilled by the pool. Had a massage. Biggest game of Kings ever. Pringles Kings cup skulled. Chanted 'Rape Dungeon' until the Cave was opened for one more night of shannanigans.

Day five; Drove to the French Riviera where we checked into the world's smallest cabin and prepared for a night out in Monaco at the Monte Carlo Casino (I came out on top...by 2 euro). Delicious meal with best ice cream I've ever had.

Days six and seven; Headed to Florence. Unfortunately came down with something and spent the night in, feeling ill. Next day not feeling much better but headed out and saw the beauty that is Florence. Also saw the inside of a doctor's office (first round of antibiotics) and our cabins where I had to spend another night in due to a high fever.

Days eight and nine; Roma! A highlight for me which made me push through any sickness a bit and really enjoy the city. Coleseum. Vatican City. Sistine Chapel (snapped a sneaky photo). Yummy italian food of course. And an 'I love Roma' white t-shirt party. I definitely did as the Romans do. Amazing city.

Days ten and eleven; Venice is something I was so looking forward. It didn't disappoint. It really had to be seen to be believed. Gondola ride was a highlight, even if it was raining at the time. Otherwise I mostly enjoyed separating from the group and getting very lost but never feeling it in the crazy maze of streets.

Days twelve and thirteen; The drive to Austria was a highlight in itself. I'd never seen views like it. And, after visiting Swarovski World and making a cheeky purchase, headed to the small quaint town we would call home for two nights. Here is where I paraglided off a 3500 meter mountain top. Yep, no words.

Day fourteen; The best thing about Germany was its vibe. I can't really describe it. But Munich just had something about it. It may have been that is was only a couple of weeks out from its biggest annual event (one hint, beer), but still it had an atmosphere about it that I loved.

Days fifteen and sixteen; VIsited Lucerne. After the two week mark I started to feel quite worn out. Especially because my sickness was catching up now. Still, didn't let that stop me from reaching the top of Jungfrau mountain on a 100 year old cog train. When I'd thought I'd seen views in Austria that couldn't be topped, I found I was mistaken. The Swiss Alps were breathtaking. And playing in the snow was fun too.

Day seventeen; The Rhine Valley, more specifically, St Goar. Pretty little town and hotel with some delicious wine (bought a bottle of Ice Wine that I later sent home). Beer stein demonstration followed by yummy German food.

Days eighteen and nineteen; Drive to the big finale, Amsterdam, was slightly delayed due to some group members getting in slight trouble with the German police the night before...anywho, after a bike ride and a cheese and clog demonstration, making it to Amsterdam I took in all the culture and sites and sounds etc etc etc etc........ehhmmm....

Day twenty; Departed XXX Amsterdam to take the final coach trip back to London. Felt like going home.



Of course all of this was only what I DID (and a teeny tiny bit of it, at that). It doesn't include any of the amazing people I met, little stops along the way, laughs, nights out, personal jokes. Too many to name really. Europe's filled with stairs and cobblestones and a whole mix of different people. The Contiki slogan when travelling through the continent ("it's not wrong, it's just different"), I found quite appropriate at times. Europe has so much to offer; it is so old, so breathtaking and inspiring (and did I mention it's OLD!). While Australia has a lot, there's so much it doesn't. And whilst I did this trip in a whirlwind and there were so many challenges that I wouldn't say I loved every minute of it, I also definitely wouldn't swap any of it for the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb